Wikivoyage (wikivoyage.org) is a project to create a free, complete, up-to-date, and reliable worldwide travel guide. It is built in collaboration by Wikivoyagers from around the globe. Wikivoyage started on 10 December 2006 and relaunched under Wikimedia on 15 January 2013.
Wikivoyage is built with the spirit of sharing knowledge that makes travel so enjoyable. Whenever travellers meet each other on the road, they swap info about the places they came from and ask questions about places they're going. We want to make it easy to share that knowledge and let others share it; our copyleft license means that the facts you know can spread far and wide.
To create Wikivoyage we use a tool (or a process, or a technology) called a wiki which lets any Internet reader create, update, edit, and illustrate any article on the Web site. We all share our pieces of knowledge, edit them, distill them, and assemble them into a pleasing and cohesive whole. The more people that use the Edit link, the better Wikivoyage becomes.
- Goals and non-goals – what the Wikivoyage community is trying to do (and not trying to do)
- Help – the entry to our documentation
- Namespace index – an index of all the pages in the "Wikivoyage:" namespace
- Press coverage – what the news media have said about Wikivoyage
- Technical details – for the geeks in the audience, a description of the software behind Wikivoyage
- Migration to Wikimedia
- List of related projects