Aasiaat is a town in Western Greenland with a population of 3,069 in 2020, making it the fourth largest settlement in Greenland.
The primary way to get into Aasiaat is via 1 Aasiaat Airport, where Air Greenland has flights from Ilulissat, Kangerlussuaq, Nuuk, and Sisimiut. From the airport, there is one small road connecting the town centre to the airport.
Otherwise, the Arctic Umiaq Line (☏ +299 34 91 90, email@example.com) is a passenger ship that sails across the west coast of Greenland. It starts in the capital of Nuuk, and continues up north passing several coastal towns including Aasiaat before turning back somewhere in Dusko Bay.
- 1 Aasiaat Museum, Niels Egedesvej 2, ☏ +299 89 47 61, firstname.lastname@example.org. The town's main museum that is located in the former colonial administrator's residence with several exhibitions exhibiting various cultural and art exhibitions. The building's architecture is a good remnant of the Danish Empire.
- Being this far north, Aasiaat is a great place to witness the Northern Lights. They're mostly visible during autumn, winter, and early spring, but you might need to head a kilometre or two out of town.
There are four annual festivals that occur annually, all during summer.
- Greenland National Day (June 21)
- Midnight Sun Marathon
- Aasiaat Kulturfestival
- Nipiaa Rock Festival
Eat and drinkEdit
There are no individual cafes, restaurants or bars in Aasiaat, but there are two restaurants and a bar located in Hotel Nattoralik.
- 1 Aasiaat Gæstehjem (Aasiaat Guesthouse), Frederik Lynges Vej 16, ☏ +299 89 22 33, email@example.com. Hotel apartments with single, double and family apartments. It's located in the centre of town and rooms come with all the standards. From 700 kr. per night.
- 2 Hope Hostel, Killerpaat 32, ☏ +299 89 27 11, firstname.lastname@example.org. A hostel with standard facilities along with five kayaks available for rent. Types of rooms include 1-, 2-, and 3- bedroom rooms, along with several other apartment style rooms available.
- 3 Hotel Nattoralik, Sannerut 7-9, ☏ +299 89 21 21, email@example.com. A hotel with bed and breakfast and free Wi-Fi available. There are two restaurants available on site: Restaurant Nanoq on the first floor, and Restaurant Tulugaq.