Agoura Hills and Westlake Village are cities in the Ventura County region. Though they are both actually within the border of Los Angeles County, they share the Conejo Valley with Thousand Oaks and are separated from the San Fernando Valley by the Simi Hills and Santa Monica Mountains.
Take the 101 North; once you have passed the Lost Hills exit, you are in Agoura Hills. When you have passed Lindero Canyon exit, you are no longer in Agoura Hills.
Los Angeles public transportation has one line in. During the summer, a special bus funded by the City takes passengers to and from Malibu beach.
Best by automobile, as none of the sites are public transit accessible.
North of the 101 Freeway, Agoura Hills is a typically suburban bedroom community and of little interest to most travelers, however, south of the 101 lies the scenic Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area where you will catch sight of breathtaking views.
- 1 Reyes Adobe Historical Site, 30400 Rainbow Crest Drive, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 2nd and 4th Saturday from 1PM-4pm. built around 1850, was Agoura Hills' first home to a widow with 14 children, Maria Antonia Machado. She purchased the Reyes rancho, "Rancho Las Virgenes", from her uncle Jose Maria Dominguez. Maria's deceased husband had been the son of Juan Francisco Reyes who served on the famous Portola expedition. From 1916 to 1983 the property transferred to owners who shared a common interest in preserving the landmark adobe home located in the beautiful foothills beneath Ladyface Mountain. Through restoration and research efforts, the City of Agoura Hills has created an interpretive center and museum for visitors to hear their stories. Adults $3, Seniors $2, 5 - 12 $1, under 5 free.
- 2 Paramount Ranch, 2903 Cornell Road, ☏ , fax: . 8AM–sunset. Paramount Ranch is the site of decades of movie and television production as a stand-in for everything from Africa to the Wild West. It was the filming location for the television program Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. Today, the park is run by the National Park Service and is open to the public. The Ranch contains several miles of hiking trails to explore as well as the Western Town set. Make sure to walk across the bridge in the southern corner of the park to reach the small, rural community of Malibou Lake.
There are free summer concerts in the park. In the 90s, Agoura Hills was known as a "mecca of music," launching music sensations Linkin Park and Hoobastank.
There are a number of places where you can hire horses to ride.
There are plenty of trails to explore. Chesebro Canyon has some of the best hiking trails in all of Los Angeles. Many begin in Agoura Hills and take you to Pacific Coast Highway. You can hike in the opposite direction and once you reach the top, you'll be at an sulfur spring. There is no shortage of biking trails either.
- 1 The Rock Store, 30354 Mulholland Highway, Cornell, CA 91301, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Friday 9AM-6PM, Weekends 7AM-6PM. A country general store that has gained a reputation as a motorcycle enthusiast pit stop. Enthusiasts of all kinds frequent the store, from sport bikes, to cruisers, to exotics, and everything in between.
- 1 Italia Deli, 5657 Kanan Rd, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 9am-6:30pm, Sa 9am-5pm, Su 10am-4pm. Cute Italian deli in the city's commercial center. Cheap, but quality, fare.
- 2 Latigo Kid, 28914 Roadside Drive #16, ☏ . Mexican Restaurant next to the world famous Canyon Club live music venue - some of the best Mex food in SoCal - huge portions, the chili rellenos and tamales are incredible.
- 3 Old Place Restaurant, 29983 Mulholland Highway, ☏ . 4PM-12AM Thur-Sun, Brunch 9AM-4PM Sat-Sun only. TINY, rustic, country-style dining experience near Malibu Lakes. A great place for a good steak or steamed clams. Reservations absolutely required (and be punctual). Located in a quiet residential area, so be careful of disturbing the neighbors if you decide to visit. Entree $14-$20.
- Latigo Kid. Next to the world famous Canyon Club live music venue - some of the best authentic Mexican food in SoCal, and huge portions - the tamales and chili rellenos are awesome
|Routes through Agoura Hills|
|Santa Barbara ← Thousand Oaks ←||N S||→ Calabasas → Downtown L.A. / Los Angeles|