1188.lv provides up-to-date bus and train schedules, route planner and prices.
- 1 Lake Alūksne (Alūksnes ezers).
- 2 Temple Hill (Tempļa kalns). An ancient Latgalian castle mound and bridge.
- 3 Alūksne Palace Park, Fountains and Museum (Alūksnes pils parks un strūklakas), Pils 74, Alūksne, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Different to what tourists may be used to seeing, due to its color. Very picturesque.
- Also, check out the local accommodation website: http://visitaluksne.lv/eng/?page_id=2276
- 1 Jaunsētas Recreational Centre (3.2 km north of the centre), ☏ , , (reservation), ✉ email@example.com. Hotel, camp-site, and cabin accommodation. On-site sauna, restaurant, boat and bicycle rent, sports and recreational events. Dorm €10, single €23, double €39-65.
- Gulbene – The destination of the narrow gauge railway.
- Cesvaine – This nearby village is home to the Cesvaine Palace and ruins of medieval castles.
- Lake Lubānas – In the far southeastern corner of Vidzeme. The largest lake in Latvia by area, but also one of the shallowest ones with average depth just 3 m. A great place for windsurfing and under-ice fishing in winter.
- Smiltene – Features a manor, some castle ruins, and a watch tower over the surrounding area. Not very interesting, but quite cosy and slightly larger than Valka, and not far from the Pskov highway.
- Seda – Founded in 1953 in an uninhabited area, it still embodies the pomp of Communist and Stalinist shock-work aka architecture. Nearby a vast man-made peat bogs nature area can be found, and is not to be missed. Both occurrences are historically tied to each other.