city in Romania
Alba Iulia is a city in Western Transylvania, Romania. It is the capital of Alba county and has one of the most beautiful Habsburg citadels of Europe.
There are direct international trains from Vienna (11 hours travel time) and Budapest (seven hours).
Alba Iulia is connected with all cities in Transylvania, including Cluj, Sibiu, Brașov and Sighișoara. There are also 1-2 daily direct trains from Bucharest and Timisoara. Check timetables on infofer.ro
All sights within the historic fortress are within walking distance from the train station.
- 1 Alba Carolina Fortress (Cetatea Alba Carolina). A massive baroque fortification built in the 18th century, one of the largest of this kind in Eastern Europe. The citadel is filled with historical sights, including medieval catholic cathedral, national unification museum and (rather unimpressive) remains of the Roman castrum.
- 2 Reunification Cathedral (Catedrala Reîntregirii).
- 3 St. Michael's Cathedral (Catedrala Sfântul Mihail).
- 4 Museum of the Union (Muzeul Unirii). The museum exhibits over 130,000 pieces of artworks, organized chronologically. The Unification Hall retains historical significance from having hosted, on 1 December 1918, the rally of the 1228 Romanian delegations from Transylvania who determined the province's union with the Kingdom of Romania.
- 5 Transylvania Boulevard. The huge boulevard was extended greatly in 1987, when an 100m apartment building was split in half and moved (with people still inside) in 6h.
Outdoor swimming poolsEdit
- 1 Ștrandul Zlatna, Zlatna, Str. Băilor Nr. 2. 10:00 - 21:00. 1 pool (38m x 18m x 0.8m-2m), 1 pool (18m x 8m); 10 lei/day/adult, 5 lei/day/child < 6 years.
- 2 Vila "Steaua Nordului" (pensiune), Alba Iulia, Bulevardul Republicii, nr. 5A, ☏ +40 754 604 900, +40 744 789 465, firstname.lastname@example.org. 09:00 - 19:00. 20 lei/day/adult, 10 lei/day/child < 14 years, free access for children < 6 years.
- 3 Winner`s Club Ţălnar, Alba Iulia, Str. Gabriel Bethlen. 1 pool (~12m x ~10m x 1.6m), 1 pool (~10m x ~2m x 0.7m); 1 volleyball court; 25 lei/day/person. Free access for children < 3 years; 15 lei for sunbed;.
- Pub 13, Aleea Sfantul Capistrano Nr.1 (When facing the), ☏ +40 728 444 415. noon-midnight. Stardard-fare Romanian restaurant in an unusual setting. The main dining hall lies inside the city wall in a large brick dome-shaped room with a broad pillar in the middle and various medieval weapons and shield lining the walls. 15-25 lei.
- Câlnic - UNESCO World Heritage site citadel
- Coiba mare Cave
- Bihorul Peak