Alessandria is the largest city (population of 94,000 in 2017) and the capital of the province of Alessandria in Piedmont.
- from Genoa A26 motorway towards Alessandria, Alessandria Sud exit
- from Genoa A7 motorway towards Milan, connection on the A21 towards Turin, exits Alessandria Est and Alessandria Ovest, or exit at Tortona then S.S. 10 direction Alessandria
- from Aosta towards Santhià, continue on the A26 motorway towards Alessandria, exit Alessandria Sud and Alessandria Ovest
- from Turin, take the A21 motorway towards Piacenza, exit Alessandria Ovest.
- from Piacenza A21 motorway towards Turin, Alessandria Est and Alessandria Ovest exits
- in Milan A7 motorway towards Genoa, junction with the A21 in Tortona, towards Turin, Alessandria Est and Alessandria Ovest exits
- 1 Marengo Battle Museum. The Battle of Marengo on 14 June 1800 ended with decisive victory of Napoleon's French army over Austrian forces.
- Citadelle Militaire.
- 2 Palazzo Ghilini. A Baroque palace built in 18th-19th centuries.
- Forum Fulvii.
- Acqui Terme. A beautiful Roman town in the province famous for its hot sulphur springs and ancient baths.
Corso Roma. This is the main shopping street, with all the boutiques and high street chain stores, from Zara, to Tezenis, Carpisa, Swatch, etc. The Borsalino store still sells the famous hats. Borsalino originally comes from Alessandria and has left a deep legacy. This street is packed especially on Saturdays between 18:00 and 20:00.
Rabatons à la lisandreina (a kind of gnocchis with spinachs and cheese); Pollo alla marengo; Amaretti (small cookies with almonds); Baci di dama (small cookies with chocolate and chestnuts);
- Cercenà, Piazzetta della Lega Lombarda 12 (from Piazza Garibaldi near the station take Corso Roma that ends in Piazzetta della Lega), ☏ . Ice cream shop. Cercenà has a long tradition of making ice cream and this is absolutely one of the best home made ice creams in town, although competition is fierce. Try also the sorbetto or the granita.
- Zogra, Corso Roma 123 (from the railway station cross the gardens towards Piazza Garibaldi and you can find it at the beginning of Corso Roma). Lush interiors and a good selection of cocktails. The furniture is Italian design at its best. Expect a fashionable crowd, with occasional live music events, especially jazz.
- Di Noi Tre, Via Plana (from Piazza della Libertà take Via Mazzini). Relaxed atmosphere with comfortable vintage seating and good music, great for conversation. It gets quite busy on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Castello di Oviglio (Castello di Oviglio), Via XXIV Maggio, 1 · 15026 Oviglio (AL), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Oviglio Castle is an impressive and luxurious, historic residence, situated between two of the most fascinating areas of Piedmont: Monferrato and Langhe, or rather halfway between the provinces of Asti and Alessandria
- Palazzo Paleologi, Via Bobba 1 - 15040 Lu, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Offers a quiet and relaxing atmosphere.
- Ca Bianca Relais Melazzo, Basso Erro, 27, 15010 Melazzo (AL), ☏ . A cosy bed and breakfast hosted in an historic farmhouse of the 19th century owned by the Della Rovere family, with four suites and one double bedrooms with private bath. Also available a restaurant service, a wine bar and a common kitchen. Double €80.