Apple Valley, a relatively-modern suburban community at the southern edge of Minnesota's Twin Cities region, is far enough from the city to have plenty of open space to host parkland, a golf course and the state's expansive zoological gardens while remaining close enough to allow easy access to Minneapolis and its big-city amenities.
Apple Valley (population 49,084 as of the 2010 census) is an outer suburb located on the southern edge of the Twin Cities, south of Minneapolis-St. Paul's international airport and the Mall of America. The city was named for Apple Valley, California by developers who started building in then-rural Lebanon Township in 1969. The state of Minnesota constructed the 485-acre zoo in 1978.
- Interstate Highway 35E is the main road into Apple Valley from St. Paul; 35W forks at Burnsville to reach Minneapolis.
- Highway 77 from Minneapolis-St. Paul airport becomes Cedar Avenue (County Road 23) in the northern part of Apple Valley.
- County Road 42 runs east into Apple Valley from the Interstate highways.
- 1 Minnesota Zoo, 13000 Zoo Boulevard, ☏ , toll-free: . 9AM-4PM daily except Thanksgiving/Christmas, 9AM-6PM in high season. This nationally-recognised zoo, established by the state in 1978 as the primary local attraction and "wildest place in the Twin Cities", includes 2500 animals on 485 acres. Themed walking trails range from one to two miles in length. Exhibits are divided by climate, not species, into six themed areas including a Tropics Trail (animals from rain forests and tropical habitats), a Northern Trail (large animals from the world's cold climates, such as musk ox) and a Minnesota Trail (Minnesota native animals including black bears, wolves, wolverines and a beaver pond). There are monkeys, penguins and an aquarium. Extra charge applies for IMAX and the Conservation Carousel ride. Restaurant, souvenir shop, live music venue on-site. 24-hour information line: +1 952 431-9500. $18, $12 students/seniors, parking $7/car.
- 1 Lebanon Hills Regional Park, 860 Cliff Rd, Eagan, ☏ . Forests, grasslands, marshes and wetlands. Largest park in Dakota County. Hiking and mountain biking. Canoeing, kayaking, swimming, camping and horseback riding in summer; skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating and ice fishing in winter.
- 2 Valleywood Golf Course, 4851 McAndrews Rd., ☏ . sunrise-sunset daily, seasonal. 18 holes on 190 acres, banquet space, full scale bar, restaurant and outdoor patio, Valleywood Grill (+1 952 953-2335), pro shop (+1 952 953-2323), lessons.
- Apple Valley Freedom Days. July 4th. One of the area's biggest parades, includes local marching bands and a fireworks display.
- Apple Valley Winter Carnival. February. Ice skating, contests and children's events.
- 1 Apple Valley Square, 15125 Cedar Ave S, ☏ . 8AM–11PM.
- 1 Bogart's Place, 14917 Garrett Ave, ☏ . Main Street grill, tavern, event space.
- 2 Egg Roll King, 15100 Cedar Ave Ste 203 (Southport Centre), ☏ , fax: . 11AM-5:30PM daily, closed Mon. Chinese fast food, delivery within 5 mile radius.
- 3 Panino Brothers, 15322 Galaxie Ave, ☏ . 11AM–2AM. Sandwiches and draft beer.
- 4 Taste of Thaiyai, 7705 147th St W, ☏ . Locally-owned authentic Thai restaurant.
- 5 Osaka (Osaka Seafood & Stakehouse), 7537 West 149th Street, Suite A, ☏ . A hibachi grill, where teppanyaki chefs put on a show, with many daily specials.
- 6 Satay 2 Go, 6670 150th St W #103, ☏ . As basic Asian spot. Red-bean buns, Japanese pizza, rice noodles and satay are among the options.
- Vivo Kitchen, 15435 Founders Ln, ☏ . Seasonal menu of eclectic American small plates and mains.
- Darbar India Grill, 14871 Granada Ave, ☏ . Authentic Indian cuisine.
- Hawaii Poke Bowl, 7594 150th St W, ☏ . Poke technique originates from Hawaii, fusing fresh diced fish with rice, veggies, and an array of other delicious toppings. Customize your bowl or choose menu options.
- Valley Diner, 15322 Galaxie Ave, ☏ . Home-cooked food
- El Azteca, 6670 150th St W, ☏ . Authentic Mexican food
- Costa Vida, 15678 Pilot Knob Rd, #130, Apple Valley, MN 55124, ☏ . Coastal Mexican food.
- East China, 5480 141st St W, ☏ . Chinese cuisine and delivery
- Kalli's Popcorn Shop, 7535 148th Street, ☏ . Gourmet popcorn, fire-roasted fresh daily.
- Pho Valley, 7538 149th St W, ☏ . Authentic Vietnamese pho and cuisine.
- Smallcakes Cupcakery & Creamery, 15624 Pilot Knob Rd, #300, ☏ . Gourmet cupcakes and homemade ice cream
- Sotarol, 7394 153rd St W, ☏ . Sushi bowls and Asian burritos, and other Minnesotasian tastes.
- Ooka Asian Bistro, 6520 150th St W, Suite 400, ☏ . Beer, wine, fresh sashimi and seafood tapas.
- 1 Rascal's Bar & Grill, 7721 147th St W, ☏ . Dining 10AM–10PM Sun, 3–10PM Mon, 11AM–10PM Tue-Sat; bar closes 1AM. Burgers, seafood & steak.
- 2 Wild Bills Sports Saloon, 15020 Glazier Ave, ☏ . 11AM–2AM.
- Crooked Pint Ale House, 7083 153rd St W. A nouveau urban pub with the feel of a local neighborhood restaurant, featuring 32 craft beers on tap and 28 wines on tap (using a nitrogen preservation system).
- Celts Craft House, 7083 153rd St W, ☏ . Craft beer and hand-crafted cocktails.
- 1 AmericInn, 15000 Glazier Ave., ☏ . Indoor pool, sauna, wi-fi, parking. Hot breakfast included. $110-145.
|Routes through Apple Valley|
|Saint Paul ← Eagan ←||N S||→ Burnsville → merges onto → Des Moines|
|Minneapolis ← Eagan ←||N S||→ END|