The Rosslyn-Ballston corridor is the most densely populated area of Arlington, Virginia.
The dense Rosslyn-Ballston corridor is a series of five "urban villages" following Wilson and Clarendon Boulevards west from Rosslyn, just across the Potomac from Georgetown. This area has seen massive redevelopment since the 1980s. While Rosslyn is largely offices and hotels, and depopulated at night, the pricey high-rises and group houses to the west are home to the largest concentration of restaurants, bars, and entertainment in Arlington— and to the young professionals who patronize them. The corridor is literally a textbook case of transit-oriented development, with the thriving neighborhoods of Courthouse, Clarendon, Virginia Square, and Ballston clustered around their eponymous Orange/Silver Line Metrorail stations. At the center is the shopping and restaurant district of Clarendon, which was Arlington's "downtown" until the 1960s.
The 5 stops of the combined Metro Orange/Silver Line is the spine of the corridor, providing transit to downtown Washington, D.C. to the west, and Tysons, Reston, Falls Church, and Fairfax County to the east. The Rosslyn station is also served by the Blue Line, which provides access from Crystal City and Alexandria.
- 1 Theodore Roosevelt Island, George Washington Memorial Parkway N, ☏ . Daily 6AM-10PM. A lovely nature walk though this small national park gives one glimpses of both the area's natural woods and the Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) waterfront. Also includes a surprising monument to President Roosevelt. While it is a part of Washington, D.C., the island is only accessible by a footbridge from Arlington. Free.
- 2 Observation Deck at CEB Tower, 1201 Wilson Blvd (At Rosslyn Metrorail station), ☏ . On the 31st floor of the tower, this is the best view of Washington, D.C. and a great place to take a selfie with the Washington Monument! $24.
- 1 Ice Skating @ MedStar Capitals Iceplex (Metrorail: Ballston). Year-round ice skating rink built for the Washington Capitals professional hockey team. Public skating is offered every day; check the web site for schedules. Children's and youth lessons are also available. Adult admission: $9; skate rental: $5.
- 1 Ballston Quarter, 4238 Wilson Blvd (Connected via skyway to the Ballston Metro). Better known for its two indoor skating rinks, cheap parking, and multiplex cinema.
- 2 Market Common Clarendon, 2800 Clarendon Blvd. (Metro: Clarendon), ☏ . This outdoor shopping plaza includes an Apple Store, Barnes & Noble, and Crate & Barrel among others, and is just down the block from a variety of specialty retailers and neighborhood restaurants.
- 3 Arlington Farmers Market (Courthouse Farmers Market), N. Courthouse Road and N. 14th St. (adjacent to the Arlington County Courthouse parking lot. Metro: Court House), ☏ , fax: . Sa 8AM–noon (Apr–Dec); Sa 9AM–12noon (Jan–Mar). Arlington's largest farmers market, with about three dozen vendors, and the only one that operates year-round.
- Ben's Chili Bowl, 1725 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn), ☏ . Daily 11AM to 11PM. The Washington DC landmark that opened in DC in 1958 and well known for its hot dogs and half smokes that has been visited by numerous presidents and celebrities now has a location open in Arlington.
- Delhi Club, 1135 N Highland St (Metro: Clarendon), ☏ . Su-F 11:30AM-10PM, Sa 11:30AM-10:30PM. Stylish, modern Indian plates with a specialty in lamb and egglplant. If you would like something different, try the Indian take on the Chesapeake crabcake. $15-27.
- Guajillo Mexican Grill, 1727 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn), ☏ . Mexican food, including some great mole. The food is always fresh and wonderful. The place is difficult to spot and parking can be a problem.
- Il Radicchio, 1801 Clarendon Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn), ☏ . Italian food.
- Kanpai Restaurant, 1401 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn), ☏ . A family-owned sushi restaurant.
- Me Jana, 2300 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Court House), ☏ . Lunch: 11:30AM-2:30PM daily; dinner: Su-Th 4:30PM-10PM, F-Sa 4:30PM-10:30PM. Upscale Lebanese cuisine (mostly mezzes) in a trendy, casual dining room, and accompanied with a fine selection of Lebanese wines. $18-40.
- Mele Bistro, 1723 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn), ☏ . Italian food.
- Piola Pizzeria, 1550 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn.), ☏ . M-Th 11AM-11PM, F 11AM-1AM, Sa noon-1AM, Su noon-11PM. Based in Treviso, Italy, this small but international chain serves great, vaguely Neopolitan style pizzas. Later at night it morphs into an attractive lounge playing house and trance. Happy hour (M-F 4:30PM-8PM) offers free bar snacks and $4 sangria. $10-16.
- Pho 75, 1721 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn), ☏ . 9AM-8PM daily. The "go to" Vietnamese restaurant in the area by many locals, it has great pho in a modest setting. Cash only. $5-10.
- Quarterdeck, 1200 Fort Meyer Dr, ☏ . 11:30AM-9PM daily. Freshly steamed Maryland blue crabs and other seafood. Paper on the tables, buckets full of crabs, pitchers of beer, and an elbow-deep mess of Old Bay seasoning. $6-25; crab feast: $35/person.
- Rays the Steaks, 2300 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Court House), ☏ . One of the DC area's best steak houses, this no-frills steak house offers some of the best steaks at a reasonable price in the DC area. Parking can be a problem at times.
- Ted's Montana Grill, 2200 Crystal Drive (Metro: Crystal City), ☏ . 11AM-10PM. Ted's is a classic American restaurant serving authentic American cuisine in the style of a 1890s eatery. Featuring bison and beef steaks and burgers, it offers a great made-from-scratch experience.
- Tupelo Honey, 1616 N Troy St (Metro: Rosslyn), ☏ . Creative versions of Southern comfort food.
- Wiseguy Pizza, 1735 North Lynn St (Metro: Rosslyn), ☏ . New York style pizza and cheesecake. 3 locations in the D.C. area.
- Barley Mac, 1600 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn), ☏ . Craft cocktails and good whiskey in an industrial chic setting. Bar food.
- [dead link] Clarendon Ballroom, 3185 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Clarendon), ☏ . Known for its large dance floor and (seasonal) rooftop deck.
- Continental Modern Pool Lounge, 1911 Fort Meyer Dr (Metro: Rosslyn), ☏ . M-F 11:30AM-2AM, Sa Su 6PM-2AM. A weird little 1960s-looking, orange-colored pool hall and bar just across the Key Bridge. They also have shuffleboard, darts, and Nintendo Wii!
- Galaxy Hut, 2711 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Clarendon), ☏ . 5PM-2AM daily. Northern Virginia's hipster refuge has a fun jukebox, a fantastic draft beer selection, and perhaps the most laid back atmosphere on the Wilson Blvd corridor. Live indie rock Su-M.
- Heavy Seas Alehouse, 1501 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn), ☏ . Su-Th 11AM-midnight, F Sa 11AM-2AM. Arlington branch of the popular Baltimore brewpub, offering house-brewed beers as well as a menu focusing on locally caught seafood.
- Quinn's On The Corner, 1776 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn), ☏ . A sports bar focused on good whiskey.
- Whitlows On Wilson, 2854 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Clarendon). Casual neighborhood bar offering great specials during the week and a popular brunch on the weekends.
- Oby Lee, 3000 N Washington Blvd (Metro: Clarendon), ☏ . Su 9AM-9PM, Tu-Th 8AM-10PM, F 8AM-11PM, Sa 9AM-11PM. Coffee, wine, and crepes.
- Clarion Collection Arlington Court, 1200 N Courthouse Rd (Metro:Court House), ☏ . A high-end Clarion near the Arlington County courthouse, with free WiFi, free breakfast buffet, and 24-hour fitness center. Offers a free one-mile shuttle; it's a shame that anything interesting is at least two miles away. $130-300.
- Courtyard Arlington Rosslyn, 1533 Clarendon Blvd, ☏ . complimentary shuttle service to the DC metro.
- Highlander Motel, 3336 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Virginia Square/GMU), ☏ . Family-owned 44 unit motel.
- Hilton Arlington (directly atop the Ballston Metro). Mostly oriented towards business travels; it offers substantial discounts over weekends and holidays.
- Hilton Garden Inn Arlington/Courthouse Plaza, 1333 North Courthouse Rd (Metro: Court House), ☏ . Adjacent to the Court House Plaza restaurants and nightlife $120-260.
- Holiday Inn Arlington @ Ballston, 4610 N. Fairfax Dr (Metro: Ballston), ☏ .
- Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge, 1900 N Fort Myer Drive (Metro: Rosslyn), ☏ .
- Hyatt Centric Arlington, 1325 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn). Renovated; walking distance to local businesses and Georgetown.
- Key Bridge Marriott, 1401 Lee Highway (Metro: Rosslyn), ☏ , fax: . Offers river and city views with renovated meeting facilities.
- [dead link] Red Lion Hotel Rosslyn/Iwo Jima, 1501 Arlington Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn), ☏ . For once, a hotel with an attraction in the name isn't lying to you—it really is just about a block from the Iwo Jima Memorial. That does place it a little out of the way, but it's not a long walk to the Rosslyn station. Renovated, heated indoor pool, free WiFi, meeting rooms. $100-190.
- Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn, 1651 N Oak St, ☏ . An all-suite hotel with free WiFi, free hot breakfast, free evening buffets M-W, and a dessert buffet Th. $110-270.
- Westin Arlington Gateway, 801 North Glebe Road (Metro: Ballston), ☏ .