Arouca is a village and the seat of the same-named municipality in Douro Litoral. Visitors come to walk longest suspended pedestrian bridge in the world, which stretches 516 m (1,693 ft) across the Arouca Geopark, 175 m (574 ft) above the River Paiva.
Arouca (/ɐˈɾowkɐ/, uh-ROH-kuh) has 22,359 residents (2011).
Visitor information edit
Get in edit
Arouca's nearest motorway is the A32 (Auto-Estrada do Douro Litoral), which connects to town via the EN224 or EN326 roads.
Get around edit
- 1 Monastery of Arouca (Abbey of Arouca), Largo de Santa Mafalda. Founded in the 10th century and received the Carta do Couto in the 12th century. Its period of greatest glory was during the patronage of D. Mafalda, daughter of Sancho I. The most notable spaces in the whole ensemble are the Church, the Choir of the Nuns, the Cloisters, the Refectory and the Kitchen. Inside the monastery is the Museum of Sacred Art, one of the best in the Iberian Peninsula.
- 2 Sacred Art Museum (Museu de Arte Sacra). Part of the monastery, contains large group of sculptures, paintings, jewellery, ceramics, books and other artefacts.
- 3 Pillory of Arouca, Praça Brandão de Vasconcelos. A punch formed by three steps of hexagonal section with an upper frame, circular base, smooth and cylindrical shaft and capital ornamented by two royal shields and topped by an armillary sphere.
- 4 Chapel of Santa Casa da Misericórdia, Praça Brandão de Vasconcelos. Mannerist temple that preserves its original 17th century structure.
- 5 Casa das Pedras Parideiras, Rua de Santo António, Castanheira, 4540-012, Albergaria da Serra Aveiro. A museum dedicated to showing the phenomenon of granite rocks that are "giving birth" to biotite rocks. This is a relatively unique phenomenon, the museum is a bit less unique.
- 1 516 Arouca. The longest suspended pedestrian bridge in the world, unsurprisingly 516 m in length. Reservations are made and tickets are bought online.
- 2 Paiva river gorge. It has 8 km (5 miles) of wooden walkways.
- 3 Cascata da Frecha da Mizarela. The waterfall is fed by the waters of the Caima River and has a height of around 75 m,being one of the highest waterfalls in Portugal (the highest in Portugal is on Santa Maria island).
- 4 Serra da Freita. A calm and small-ish mountain range with secluded areas, maximum height 1100m.
- 5 Arouca Geopark (Geoparque Arouca), Rua Alfredo Vaz Pinto, ☏ , email@example.com. This UNESCO Global Geopark coincides with the municipality's 327 km2 (126 sq mi) territory. It includes sites of geology, archaeology, traditional villages, hiking trails, museums, and monuments.
- Football: FC Arouca play soccer in Primeira Liga, Portugal's top tier. Their home ground Estádio Municipal (capacity 5000) is in the Pernousela neighbourhood