Arshan (Russian: Арша́н ahr-SHAHN) is a small hot spring resort located at the foot of the Sayan Mountains in Buryatia. Arshan was hit by flood and mudslide in early July 2014. Although it doesn't seem to affect much town's functionality, the mess it left can be seen anywhere.
- From Ulan Ude one bus departing in morning — a 5-6 hour journey. (return bus departs at 7:30AM). There are probably more mini-buses departing, depending on how many people want to go.
- From Irkutsk one bus departing in morning — a 4-5 hour journey (return journey departs at 8AM). There are probably more mini-buses departing, depending on how many people want to go.
- From Slyudyanka one bus departing at 9:30 in the morning, a 2-3 hour journey. Price is around 300 руб. A taxi is for 2000 руб, shared minibus taxi for 500 руб pp.
- Buddhist Temples. There are two temples (constructed in the Buryat-Mongolian style). One is located a 10min walk to the west from north part of the town (from bus station), second is in the south part of town near the main road.
- Waterfall - to reach the waterfall, walk around 30 mins north from the town, following a river. Some parts of path may be damaged because of floods. (Depending on weather) there may or may not be someone to collect a 50 руб fee.
- Hot springs: There are two sanatoriums located at opposite ends of the town, which offer drinking water from hot springs.
- Hiking in nearby Sayan Mountains
There are few shops located on a main Traktovaya (Трактовая) street, just look for a sign saying "магазин".
- There are few restaurants located on the main street - Traktovaya (Трактовая). Some of them have only a written menu outside, some have only pictures of meals, some have both. In Poznaya (позная) they offer traditional russian and buryat cuisine, with pelmenye, bliny, poozy and plov, price around 100-150 руб.
- Vegetarian meals available at the yoga camp (see 'Sleep' section)
- Most houses on Traktovaya Street offer rooms at around 70R — 250R per person.
- As soon as you get off a bus, you will be approached by many women offering accommodation. The price begins at 300-400 руб (as of 2014), but probably you can bargain for less. They mostly offer a stay in small garden houses (a bedroom with a hallway), with electricity but no running water. Drinking water is available at the garden, dry toilets are outside too.
- Camp near the Kynryga River. Tents and sleeping bags can be rented at the site and there are free yoga sessions. Vegetarian meals are also available.
- Sayan Mountains
- Lake Baikal — a 3 hour bus ride (2 hours by car)
- During (summer) morning there leave quite a few minibuses bound for both Irkutsk and Ulan-ude. But it seemed that if you've bought a ticket from a ticket office, drivers suddenly lost interest in you...