Ashland City is in Central Tennessee. Located about 30 minutes northwest of Nashville and 40 minutes southeast of Clarksville, Ashland City offers beautiful rolling hills perfect for hiking and mountain biking. It is the seat of Cheatham County, which also includes the incorporated cities of Kingston Springs, Pegram, and Pleasant View.
With the population boom in Nashville and its surrounding areas, Ashland City is growing rapidly, with new developments being built with regularity. The population, estimated at about 4,700, has doubled since 1980. This has also led to a diverse spread of income levels; on the same state route you may see a trailer park and a four-car-garage mansion within a quarter mile of each other.
Ashland City sits on TN-12 midway between Nashville and Clarksville, about 40 minutes from the Nashville International Airport. It's also reachable from I-24 — from Clarksville take Interstate exit 24 and head west on TN-49, and from Nashville take exit 31 and follow TN-249 S.
You'll need a car. Though there is no public transportation in Ashland City, there are a surprising number of bike lanes in the area. If you do choose to bike, be ready to work for it, as the hills of Ashland City can present quite a challenge.
- 1 Cheatham Wildlife Management Area (Cheatham WMA) (Hwy 49 toward Charlotte, then left onto Hwy 250. Entrance on your left.). daylight hours. 20,810 acres of land, enjoyed by hunters, bird-watchers and wildlife fans. Check station is three miles in from the entrance. Check the TWRA hunt guide for info about public access dates. No charge..
- 2 Riverbluff Park, 175 Old Cumberland St. Playground, picnic tables and observation deck with a boat ramp and dock.
- 3 Cheatham County Public Library, 188 County Services Dr Suite 200. Modern and spacious public library with wi-fi and comfortable seating. If you have little ones to keep busy, the painted-like-a-forest children's section won't disappoint.
- 4 Bull Run Recreation Area, 2530 Highway 12 South (South on TN-12). Perfect for fishing and picnicking, near where Bull Run empties into the Cumberland River.
- 5 Cheatham Dam Right Bank, 1797A Cheatham Dam Rd (Northwest on TN-12 to Cheatham Dam Road), ☏ . Swimming area with a sand beach, plus shelters, grills, playgrounds and boat ramps. There are also volleyball courts and a softball field. $4 per car day use in peak season.
- 6 Narrows of the Harpeth State Park, 1254 Narrows of the Harpeth Rd, Kingston Springs, ☏ . Part of Harpeth River State Park, the Narrows have hiking trails as well as a historic man-made tunnel cut 100 yards through solid rock in 1818.
- 1 Cumberland River Bicentennial Trail (Ashland City Bicentennial Greenway Trail), 177 Chapmansboro Rd. Offers hiking, bicycling and bird-watching, with trails converted from railroad tracks.
- 2 Blue Heron Cruises, Riverbluff Park, ☏ . Pontoon boat tours with "Captain Jim," March through November. $10-14.
- 3 Foggy Bottom Canoe, 1270 Highway 70, Kingston Springs (TN-249 S to US-70 W), ☏ . Canoe & kayak rentals.
- 4 Canoe Music City, 1203 Hwy 70 South, Kingston Springs, ☏ . Canoeing on the Harpeth River.
- 1 Sycamore Square, 322 Frey St (NE on Frey (49/249)). Strip mall shopping center boasts a Food Lion grocery store and a Tractor Supply Co., as well as Whitt's BBQ, Domino's, Pizza Hut and New China Star.
- 2 Main Street. Main Street (the part of TN-12 that runs through Ashland City proper) has several fast food options and drugstores, including a Walgreen's and a Rite Aid.
- 3 Owen Place Shopping Center, 1620 TN-12 (South on TN-12). Anchored by Walmart Supercenter, this shopping center also has a Dollar General and several restaurants.
- 4 Blue Springs Gifts, 1105 Main St, Pleasant View (North on TN-49 E), ☏ . In the Pleasant View historical district.
- 5 Ewe & Company, 407 N Main St, Kingston Springs, ☏ . Local yarn store, half an hour south of Ashland City.
- 1 Riverview Restaurant & Marina, 110 Old River Rd, ☏ . Catfish and American fare, right on the Cumberland River. Arrive by car or by boat; there's a dock with electricity for boaters. Great view.
- 2 El Rey Mexican Restaurant, 114 S Main St, ☏ .
- 3 Don Pancho Mexican Restaurant, 232 Hutton Pl # 112, ☏ . Local family-owned chain with Mexican cuisine.
- 4 Vuocolo's Italian Pizzeria, 189 Monroe Pl #114, ☏ . Pizza and subs.
- 5 Whitt's Barbecue, 308 Frey St. Local chain for hickory-smoked BBQ in a counter-style setting.
Pleasant View is twenty minutes north of Ashland City and thirty minutes northwest of Nashville on I-24.
|Routes through Ashland City|
|Paducah ← Clarksville ←||W E||→ Nashville → Chattanooga|
|Hopkinsville ← Clarksville ←||N S||→ Nashville → Monteagle|