city in Sindh, Pakistan
This part of Sindh has several sites of great archaeological interest and significance. A day devoted to visiting each of these would be a day very well spent.
- Banbhore is an archeological site of Daibal excavated in 1962. Alexander the Great established a town here in 325 BC. The first Muslim conqueror in South East Asia came in 711 AD. It is an ancient city dating to the 1st century BC, about 60 km east of Karachi. An interesting archaeological site, it has been on the tentative list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Bhambore, originally the seaport of Debal where the young Arab warrior Mohammad Bin Qasim landed his armies in 711 AD. Three different periods in Sindh history coincide here: the Scytho-Parthians, the Hindu-Buddhist and the early Islamic. There is a museum and a rest house at the site.
- Shrine of Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai. A beautiful structure covered with traditional Iranian tiles glazed in blue and turquoise colours is the final resting place of Sindh's renowned saint and great mystic poet Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai (1689-1752). He is remembered for the compendium of his poetry called 'Risalo', a treasure house of wisdom as well as romantic folklore and fine pottery. He also founded a musical tradition that is still popular. Devotees sing with fervor and frenzy his love-intoxicated Kafis to the strains of ek-tara (single string instrument) mainly on the occasion of his "Urs" held every year between 13th and 15th of Safar, the second Islamic lunar month.
- Amri. The remains of fortified archaeological town of Indus Valley Civilization dating back to 3600 BC.The site is located south of Mohenjo-Daro on Hyderabad-Dadu Road about 110 km north of Hyderabad. This site has multi-level occupation, although it was never a big city.
- Agham Kot. It is an archaeological site containing the reminiscence and tombs of an ancient empire. It is also known as Agham or The Lohánas. Agham, or Agham-kot, lies about thirty miles south-east from Hyderabad, and though now almost forgotten, it was formerly a place of some consequence.