Incorporated as a town in 1791, it was sacked by the British during the War of 1812, was known for its strong anti-slavery stance in the Underground Railroad and US Civil War era and was heavily damaged by a 1911 fire. It is the closest town to Fort Knox State Historic Site, built from 1844-1869. As the first US landfall for arriving jetliners from Europe, its international airport is a welcome sight to pilots who want to throw drunkard passengers off inbound commercial flights. Its cultural facilities, including the University of Maine, rival much larger cities. As the home of author Stephen King, it appears often in fictional works, but travellers can be assured that as the city is relatively safe and peaceful they will not be eaten by mutant zombies.
- 1 Bangor International Airport (BGR IATA), 287 Godfrey Boulevard (Exit 46 or 47 on Interstate 95), ☏ . Bangor has year-round non-stop service on Delta to New York-LaGuardia; American to New York-LaGuardia, Philadelphia, Washington-National and Charlotte (seasonally); United to Newark and Chicago O'Hare (seasonally); and Allegiant to Orlando-Sanford and St. Petersburg/Clearwater, Florida.
- Concord Coach Lines, 1039 Union St (depot) (across from airport), ☏ . Express or local routes from Boston through Portland.
- Greyhound Lines, Dysart's Travel Stop @ 530 Coldbrook Road, Hermon, ☏ . Connections from Boston and Portland.
- Cyr Bus Lines, 153 Gilman Falls Ave (office/depot), Old Town; (bus stops) Dysart's Travel Stop @ 530 Coldbrook Rd and Concord depot @ 1039 Union St, ☏ , toll-free: . Service from Caribou Fosters in northern Maine.
Downtown Bangor and the waterfront is easily explored by foot; the nearby Pickering Square parking garage offers the first two hours for free. Traveling to sites outside of downtown will require a car.
- Community Connector, ☏ . Provides public bus service in Bangor and some surrounding towns. Single rides $1.50.
- 1 Penobscot Theatre Company, 131 Main St, ☏ .
- Bangor Symphony Orchestra, ☏ .
- Ten Bucks Theatre company, ☏ . Seasonal live theater at Eddington-Clifton Civic Center (Comins Hall)) at 1387 Main Road, Eddington, (10 miles from Brewer on Rt. 9). Summer performances of Shakespeare outdoors in Indian Trail Park and at Fort Knox in Prospect. $10.
- 1 Thomas Hill Standpipe, ☏ . 110-ft (34 m) tall water tower that gives the Queen City its "crown," open seasonally for tours. From the observation deck you can see to Mt. Katahdin on a clear day; enjoy the famous Maine foliage in the autumn. This requires climbing 100 steps, and is not handicapped accessible.
- [dead link] River City Cinema Society, Pickering Square. Free screenings of classic movies in summer, bring a lawn chair.
- 2 Maine Discovery Museum, 74 Main St, ☏ . Three-story Bangor Children's Museum, ideal for preschoolers but stimulating and entertaining for kids of all ages. $7.50.
Festivals and eventsEdit
- American Folk Festival. late August.
- Kenduskeag Stream Canoe Race. April
- Senior League World Series. Early August
- Cool Sounds Music Series, Pickering Square. mid-June to August.
- Bangor Band. Free Tuesday night concerts around Bangor through the summer, as well as other performances throughout the year.
- Epic Sports, 6 Central St, ☏ . 10-6 daily, 10-5 Sun. Family-owned adventure outfitter; apparel and gear for hikers, paddlers, runners, sport and outdoor activity.
- Mexicali Blues, 1 W Market Square, ☏ . Hippie clothing, women's bohemian fashions, tie dye clothing, hand-crafted jewellery, cool toys and kitchen wares.
- [dead link] Bagel Central, 33 Central St, ☏ . Kosher restaurant, bagels, sandwiches, soups and baked goods. Bright dining area with tall ceilings and full length windows.
- Taste of India, 68 Main St, ☏ . Indian food, lunch specials, buffet Wed.-Fri. Good Indian beer and (domestic?) wine selection, Beside Maine Discovery Museum. $7 (lunch special), $10-12 (evening).
- Dysart's Restaurant, 530 Coldbrook Road, Hermon, ☏ . Open 24/7. Truck stop with repair garage, reasonably-priced family food, travel store, event facilities for 10-200+, deli and bakery, Greyhound bus stop.
- Sea Dog Brewing Co., 26 Front St, ☏ .
Unless you want to stay downtown, the "better cheap hotels" are concentrated in the "Odlin Road" area, which is near I-95 and the airport.
- Best Western White House Inn, 155 Littlefield Ave, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Continental breakfast, restaurant adjacent. Outdoor pool, seasonal walking path, exercise room, business center, lounge, guest laundry. Some theme rooms available with fireplace and Jacuzzi tub.
- Charles Inn, 20 Broad St, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Art gallery hotel. Morning meal included, wi-fi in lobbies and café.
- Courtyard by Marriott, 236 Sylvan Rd (I-95 exit 187 (Hogan Rd), then immediate right onto Sylvan Rd.), ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. Bistro on-site for breakfast and dinner. Wired and wireless Internet. $120-150.
- Fairfield Inn Bangor, 300 Odlin Rd, ☏ , fax: . Wi-fi, refrigerator, breakfast included, near airport. $100-130.
- Fireside Inns & Suites, 570 Main St (I-395 and Main Street), ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Beside casino, pet-friendly and fireplace rooms available. Wi-fi, lobby computer, 24 hour coffee bar. Geaghan's Restaurant & Pub +1 207 945-3730.
- Four Points by Sheraton Bangor Airport, 308 Godfrey Blvd, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. Connected directly to the Bangor Int'l Airport via an enclosed skywalk. Wi-fi, Godfrey's Lounge on-site.
- Hilton Garden Inn Bangor, 250 Haskell Rd., ☏ .
- Holiday Inn, 404 Odlin Rd, ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: noon. 208 non-smoking rooms with microwave and refrigerator. Lounge and restaurant on site, Full-Fitness Gold's Gym on property. Hot tub. Internet terminal in foyer near entrance. Breakfast not included. $100.
- 1 Hollywood Casino Hotel & Raceway, 500 Main St, toll-free: . Wi-fi, airport shuttle, fitness centre, restaurants, bar and lounge.
- Howard Johnson's, 336 Odlin Rd, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Outdoor pool, wi-fi in public areas, microwaves, refrigerators, extra charge for pets. Hotel remains open but the restaurant (one of the last two in the once-huge Howard Johnson restaurant chain) is closed, effective September 2016. $70 and up.
- Motel 6, 1100 Hammond St, ☏ , fax: . Wi-fi, coin laundry, two-story pet-friendly motel with exterior corridors.
- Ramada Bangor, 357 Odlin Rd, toll-free: . Barnaby's Grill, wifi, business and fitness centres, indoor pool. 118 rooms, five meeting/banquet rooms with A/V facilities. Breakfast and newspaper included with room.
- Residence Inn Bangor, 22 Bass Park Blvd., ☏ . Free Wifi; Breakfast; Close to Downtown, Casino, Concerts; excellent restaurant (Timber) attached.
- Rodeway Inn, 327 Odlin Rd, ☏ . Free WiFi, breakfast.
- TownePlace Suites Bangor, 240 Sylvan Rd., ☏ . Free WiFi, Breakfast, Pet-Friendly
Radio stations serving the Bangor area include:
- News/Talk: WMEH 90.9 FM (NPR), WVOM 103.9 FM (conservative)
Television stations serving Bangor include:
- WLBZ Channel 2: NBC.
- WABI Channel 5: CBS.
- WVII Channel 7: ABC.
- WMEB Channel 12: PBS.
|Routes through Bangor|
|Houlton ← Orono ←||N S||→ Fairfield → Augusta|
|St. Johnsbury ← Skowhegan ←||W E||→ Orono → Houlton|
|Augusta ← China ←||W E||→ END|
|Jackman ← Monson ← Jct S ←||N S||→ Bucksport → Stonington|