Barnstaple is a town of 32,000 people (2018) in Devon, England.
Barnstaple used to be a port and is at the lowest crossing point of the River Taw.
Get in edit
Trains run hourly from Exeter Central, taking 70 min via Exeter St David's, Crediton, Yeoford, Copplestone, Morchard Road, Eggesford and Umberleigh.
1 Barnstaple railway station is south across the bridge from town centre. There's a staffed ticket office, machines, toilets, and step-free access to platforms. Nearby supermarkets have stuff to eat.
Get around edit
- 1 Barnstaple Castle.
- 2 Barnstaple Library, Tuly Street, EX31 1EL, ☏ . M Tu Th F 9AM-6PM, W 10AM-6PM, Sa 9AM-5PM.
- 3 Museum of Barnstaple & North Devon, The Square, EX32 8LN, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Mar-Oct: M-Sa 10AM-5PM, Oct-Mar: M-Sa 10AM-4PM. free.
- 4 Queens Theatre, 100 Boutport Street, EX31 1SY, ☏ .
- 5 Scott Cinemas, 77 Boutport Street, EX31 1SR, ☏ .
- 1 Barnstaple Hotel, Braunton Road, EX31 1LE, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 2 Broomhill Art Hotel, Muddiford Rd, Barnstaple EX31 4EX (off B3230 four miles north of town), ☏ . Remarkable colourful hotel with six rooms in a Victorian country house, set in sculpture garden. Great Med cuisine at Terra Madre restaurant. B&B double £100.
- 3 South Town Farm, Loxhore EX31 4SS (ten miles northeast of town), ☏ . Off-grid eco-campsite open May-Sept, ten pitches, no cars. The farm is on National Trust land. Two-person tent £20.
As of May 2022, Barnstaple has 4G from all UK carriers, but coverage of the approach highways is variable. 5G has not reached this area.
Go next edit
- Ilfracombe is 12.4 miles north via B3230.
- Bideford is 10 miles west via A39, with Westward Ho! a mile beyond it.
- Woolacombe is 14 miles north west.
- Exmoor lies to the east.
|Routes through Barnstaple|
|Bideford ←||SW NE||→ Lynton|