The town has a population of over 90,000 as of 2015.
Bauan lies on the lowland areas of Batangas, along the Batangas Bay. It is a sprawling suburb of Batangas City, and has a few historical sites, but has some beaches. It serves as the gateway to the resort town of Mabini.
Founded in 1596, Bauan used to occupy a larger area, which has since been split into 5 separate municipalities: Bauan proper, San Jose, San Luis, Alitagtag, Mabini, and San Pascual. The town is the hometown of the 13th Vice President of the Philippines, Jejomar Binay, who also served as mayor of Makati.
By public transportationEdit
Bauan is served by one provincial bus route, as well as two jeepney routes from Batangas City.
- Batman Starexpress (BSC) operates the once-hourly Batangas City-Nasugbu bus route which passes through the town proper. This comes in handy if coming from western Batangas
- Jeepney routes BW-02 Batangas City-Bauan, BW-04 Batangas City-Lemery and BW-05 Batangas City-Mabini connects Bauan with Batangas City. Route BW-02 either comes from Batangas city proper, or the city's central bus station, the Batangas Grand Central Terminal (useful if coming from Manila). Route BW-04 serves as a cheaper alternative to the bus between Batangas City and Lemery town center. Route BW-05 travels from the Grand Terminal, and formerly, Batangas city proper (at the row of hotels near the port and Batangas State University).
From Manila, the fastest route is via STAR Tollway to Batangas City. Other common alternate driving routes are via Lipa and Cuenca, and a slower, inland route via San Jose.
From western Batangas, Bauan is easily reachable through Route 436
The town proper is compact, and easily walkable.
- 1 Bauan Church (Immaculate Conception Parish Church), Kapitan Ponso Street. Originally founded as a chapel in what is now the town center of Alitagtag municipality, it is a Neoclassical church dating back to 1894. The church also houses an giant image of the Holy Cross made from anubing, a species of Artocarpus. It is also known for subli, a devotional dance.
- Plaza Orense.
- Mount Durungao.
- Sampaguita Beach, Baguilawa. A remote stretch of white-sand beach
- Pamilihang Bayan ng Bauan.
- Bauan Plaza Hotel (The Plaza at Bauan). Bauan's first major hotel, with its exterior resembling a Bahay na Bato. Just below the hotel is a commercial strip
- La Thalia Beach Resort.
- Villa Ferlin Resort & Hotel, Manghinao Proper.