Bauru is a city of 380,000 people (2020) in the state of São Paulo. It is home to many post-secondary education campuses, including the University of São Paulo and Universidade Estadual Paulista.
- Via the Marechal Rondon Highway (Rodovia Marechal Rondon), it is 335km from São Paulo, via Botucatu.
- Via SP-225 it is 353 km from São Paulo, via Jaú, access from km 206 of the Washington Luís Highwayin Itirapina.
There are two daily flights from Congonhas Airport in São Paulo to Bauru's nearest airport in Arealva, 25 km from the city. The airport is served by GOL and Pantanal. Taxis charge a fixed fare of R$60 to reach Bauru, or you can take a city bus that connects to the bus terminal for less than R$3.
- Bauru Zoo (Jardim Zoológico de Bauru), Rod. Com. João Barros, Km 232.5 (9 km from the city center).
- Ecological Park (Parque Ecológico) (10 km from the city center). Preserving the local highland vegetation.
- Railroad Museum (Museu Ferroviário), Block 1 of Rua 1 de Agosto.
- History Museum (Museu Histórico), Block 13 of Rua Antonio Alves.
- Recinto Mello Morães Exposition Park (Parque de Exposições do Recinto Mello Morães) (5 km from the city center).
- Shopping Bauru, Rua Henrique Savi, 15-55 - Vila Nova Cidade Universitária, ☏ . M-Sa 10:00-22:00. Large western-style shopping mall with various shops, a movie theater and a food court.
- Barraca Oba-Oba, Praça da Paz. Small stall selling churros.
- Fried Fish, Av. Getúlio Vargas, 2-50, ☏ . You may be able to guess what this popular shop specializes in.
- Skinão, Rua Rio Branco, 23-06 - Vila Samaritana (end of the street), ☏ . 11:00-01:00, closed Tuesdays. Serving authentic "Bauru" sandwiches.
Bauru has a fairly happening nightlife for a city its size, due to the large number of university students. Bars and dance clubs are concentrated around Getúlio Vargas and Nações Unidas Avenues.
- Aeroclube. Busy at weekends
- Bar do Português, Rua Benjamin Constant, 10-45 - Higienópolis, ☏ . M-Th 16:00-23:30, F 16:00-00:00, Sa 11:00-22:30. Prize-winning drafthouse. Try the "chope black".