Beerwah is situated north of Glass House Mountains, approximately 80 kilometres (50 mi) north of Brisbane, and just south of Landsborough. The main road through Beerwah is called Steve Irwin Way. It was formerly known as the Glasshouse Mountain Tourist Route and is accessed by the Bruce Highway, which bypassed the town in 1985.
The name Beerwah comes from the Kabi language (Turrbal dialect) word birrawaman, with birra meaning sky and wandum meaning climbing up.
Additionally, Australia Zoo is located in Beerwah. The zoo was founded by Bob Irwin and later made famous by his son, Steve Irwin. It is a major tourist attraction and is visited daily by large numbers of local, national and international tourists.
Another attraction, the Glass House mountain range, is located nearby. The largest mountain in the range, at 555m, is Mount Beerwah. However, access to the Mount Beerwah summit route has been closed since 2008 due to the erosion and destabilization of some walking tracks, leading to a high risk of rock fall.
Finally, the Big Mower, one of Australia's big things is also located in Beerwah.
- From the North: Exit off the Bruce Highway (A1) onto Steve Irwin Way (TD24). The main Beerwah turnoff is on the right about 15 km from the exit.
- From the South: Exit from the Bruce Highway (A1) onto onto Steve Irwin Way. The main Beerwah turnoff is on the left about 15 km from the exit.
Beerwah has one petrol station, a Shell, in the heart of town. There is also a couple of petrol stations along Steve Irwin Way.
There is a train station in the heart of Beerwah which offers frequent (usually hourly) services. Timetables can be found at the translink website .
There are no buses within Beerwah, and few taxi services, so to get around you would want to hire a car at a major city (car hire is not available within Beerwah).
- Glasshouse mountain ranges.
Like most Aussie small towns, there's not much to buy in Beerwah. However, for a souvenir, a photo of the glass house mountains itself is a lifelong thing to keep.
- Coofee Devine, Mackay-Eungella-Road (Pinnacle).
- Blackwattle Farm Bed And Breakfast, 123 Old Peachester Road (We are 5 Minutes from Australia Zoo.), ☏ , (mobile), ✉ email@example.com.
- Beerwah Glasshouse Mountains Motel, 1116 Steve Irwin Way (We are only 45 minutes north of Brisbane.), ☏ (Allan), fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. In the Heart of the Glasshouse Mountains.
Peachester, Glass House Mountains, Ewen Maddock Dam, Coochin Creek