Belianske Tatras (Belianske Tatry) is a scenic mountain range in Tatra National Park of Slovakia.
Due to nature conservation, many of the paths are forbidden. This leaves only a handful of valley-hikes, thus spending more than 1-2 days here for hiking doesn't really make sense. However, at least one visit of the area (esp. Kopské sedlo) is well worth it for the amazing nature and viewpoints.
The first inhabitants were shepherds in the 14th century. Also, mining for mostly iron and copper was done here in the earlier days.
The nature of the mountains here differs significantly from High Tatras. Mostly because of the different past - here the ice layer didn't affect the forming of the area as much.
The highest point is Havran at 2151.5 m. Like most of the area, the peak is not accessible for tourists to protect the rare animals and plants.
Majestic Lomnický Štít peak of High Tatras is visible from some parts of the hike.
Flora and faunaEdit
Most tourist hiking paths start in/nearby either Tatranská Kotlina, Ždiar or Kežmarské Žlaby villages.
A more difficult entry is from Skalnaté pleso (in High Tatras) via Veľká Svišťovka mountain (red-colored path).
Fees and permitsEdit
- 1 Belianska jaskyňa (Belianska cave) (Accessible from Tatranská Kotlina village). The only accessible cave in Tatras park.
- 2 Zelené pleso (Green lake). A lake right under Lomnický Štít and Kežmarský Štít.
- 3 Veľké Biele pleso (Great white lake). A lake where most tourists take a break.
Mostly ½-1 day long easy hikes ara available (and can be also combined):
- 1 Kopské sedlo (Kopské saddle). A saddle with some information guidepost and good views mainly towards High Tatras. A 15-min hike up from "Veľké Biele pleso".
- 2 Široké sedlo (Easy ~1h hike up from Kopské sedlo.). A saddle with great views all around.
- 3 Jahňací Štít. The most prominent accessible peak in the range.
- 4 Veľká Svišťovka. A possible entry point (peak) to the range from High Tatras.
Eat, drink, and sleepEdit
- 1 Chata pri Zelenom Plese.
- 2 Chata Plesnivec (Located on the green/yellow hiking routes from Tatranská Kotlina or Kežmarské Žľaby.).