Berat is a city in Albania. In 2008 it was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site as it is a rare example of a well-preserved Ottoman town. It is one of the country's most beautiful towns, and is known as the "town of a thousand windows".
Take a Furgon/Van from Tirana to Berat (cost: 500 lek). From other towns make a connection via Fier (200-250 lek). Buses also run from Tirana to Berat (cost: 400 lek). To Sarandë (via Gjirokastër), departs 8AM and 2PM daily, 6 hours (1000 lek). Buses to major towns in Albania from Berat. Check the board at the bus station for destinations and departure times.
The town is small enough to be toured by foot. Taking a walk on the footpaths of the old town is a must!
- 1 The castle (Kala). mostly built in the 13th century, but with origins going back to the 4th century BC. A very beautiful place with great views of the surrounding area. Getting to the Kala requires a steep walk up a cobbled path - take care, the stones are worn and slippery. The citadel is still inhabited, with many churches, and there are a couple of bars and shops in the Kala area.
- 2 Onufri Iconography Museum (Muzeu Kombëtar Ikonografik Onufri), Rrugica Shën Triadha (within the Kala). Closed Mondays. at the site of a church, features the vivid iconography works of the famous 16th century painter Onufri and others. The museum hold other artifacts gathered form nearby churches and others around Albania.
- 3 Berat Ethnographic Museum, Rruga Andrea Tavanxhiu (Located in the grounds of a traditional house, on the way up to the castle.). It features traditional local furniture and house utensils.
- 4 Mangalem old town area (Below the Kala, south of the river). a traditionally Muslim area
- 5 Gorica old town area (Below the Kala, north of the river). A traditionally Christian area.
- Numerous Byzantine Churches, dating from the 13th century.
- 6 St Mary church (Kisha e Shën Mari Vllahernes), next from Rrugica Panajot Haxhimihali (within the Kala).
- 7 Church of St Demetrius (Kisha e Shën Mitrit) (within the Kala).
- 8 Church of St. Theodore (Kisha e Shën Todrit) (Kala northern part).
- 9 Church of St. Sophia (Kisha e Shën Sofisë) (within the Kala).
- 10 Dormition Cathedral (Center of the Kala).
- 11 Holy Trinity Church (within the Kala).
- 12 Saint Michael Church (Kisha e Shën Mëhilli), Rruga e Shën Mëhilli.
- 13 Cathedral of St. Bitri (Katedralja e Shen Bitrit), Rruga Antipatrea and Rruga Rilindja corner.
- Several Mosques from the Ottoman era (starting from 1417).
- 14 Sahatit Mosque (Clock Mosque, Xhamia e Sahatit), Rruga Xhamia e Sahatit.
- 15 Kuqe Mosque (Red Mosque, Xhamia e Kuqe), Rrugica Mbrica (South part of the Kala).
- 16 Bachelors' Mosque (Xhamia e Beqareve), Rruga Antipatrea.
- 17 Mbret Mosque (King Mosque, Xhamia Mbret), Rruga Mihal Komnena.
- 18 Tekke of Helveti (Teqeja e Helvetive).
- 19 Lead Mosque (Xhamia e Plumbit), Rruga Gaqi Gjika.
- 1 Tomorri Mountain (Parku Kombëtar Mali i Tomorri) (E 20 km. Can be reached with 4x4 vehicles). A national park. - At mountain peak a Bektashi Temple is located
- 2 Bogova Waterfall (Ujëvara e Bogoves), Bogovë village (S 30 km between Berat and Corovode.).
- 3 Osumi River Canyon (S 58 km. Skrapar District). One of the most beautiful rivers in Albania passing through canyons as high as 100 meters. Outdoor Albania offers a 3 hour rafting experience inside the canyons.
- Traditional souvenirs include stone carving, wood cheeping, and textile products.
- Rice with turkey-cock (Pilaf me kaposh deti)
- Mont Blanc pastry named after the white peak of Tomorri Mt
- Try the delicious figs and olives of the area.
- There is a traditional restaurant just inside the Kala area that does very good food.
- 1 Guva Mangalem Hotel-Bar-Restaurant, Rruga Llambi Guxhumani, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Average. - Rooms: Air Conditioning, Room Service, Internet, Bathroom
- Ajka Restaurant (across the Osum River). Delicious food with an excellent view.
Accommodation is mainly in the form of private rooms as many traditional house owners have turned their localities into B&B. Hotels are also available.
- Berat Backpackers, Rruga Nikolla Buhuri 295, Gorica, ☎ . Berat's hostel. Prices from 1350LEK
- Hotel Mangalemi, Mangalem District, ☎ .
- Hotel Nasho Vruho, Rr. Llambi Guxhumani, Mangalem District, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Lorenc Guesthouse & Hostel, Stiljano Bandilli Road, Porta 18 (cross the old bridge of Gorica, there is the square Alfred Gimitiku and you will see the Road), ☎ . Nice private guesthouse in an old quarter of Gorica. It's run by Lorenc and his mother, feels like home. €12.
- Tirana - There are buses.
- Gjirokastër - Take a bus.
- Sarandë via Gjirokastër - departs 8AM and 2PM daily, 6 hours (1000 lek)
- Fier - If you wish to travel to Fier, it is recommended not to take shortcuts as the direct road between Berat and Fier is in bad shape. Instead, go via Lushnjë.
- Athens, Greece - Direct buses.