Biak is the main city on the island of Biak, off the northwest coast of Papua, Indonesia.
The largest population centre of Biak island is in this city, meanwhile the rest of the island is thinly populated with small villages.
Biak's population consists of, the majority of the native Papuan, and mixed of Chinese-Papuan from Biak (locals called Cina-Biak) and Serui (locals called Cina-Serui) in Kep. Yapen (An island south of Biak), also other Indonesian such as Buginese, Javanese, and so on.
- 1 Frans Kaisiepo Airport (BIK IATA). Is served by frequent flights from Makassar and Jayapura, as well as flights from Surabaya. Flights are operated by Garuda Indonesia, Lion Air, and Sriwijaya Air. To get to Biak from Jakarta, a stopover in another city or island is required. In the past, Biak was visited by a foreign airline that went to Honolulu.
You can use PELNI passenger ship KM. Sinabung from Surabaya or Makassar.
You can get around by taksi (minivan) or ojek (motorcycle taxi).
There is a World War II monument in Biak 1 Monumen Perang Dunia Ke II, a museum with a cave. The cave was a hiding place for a Japanese soldier.
On the way to Bosnik you can find a bird park and orchid park 2 Taman Burung dan Taman Anggrek, the bird park has endemic Papuan fauna, cendrawasih (the bird of paradise), kasuari (cassowary), and mambruk (victoria crowned pigeon).
There are many beautiful beaches on Biak Island.
- 3 Adoki Beach (Pantai Adoki).
- 4 Batu Picah Saruri Beach (Pantai Batu Picah).
- 5 Lake Samares (Telaga Biru Samares). Blue water lake.
- 6 Parai Beach (Pantai Parai).
- 7 Sorendiweri Beach (Pantai Sorendiweri), Supiori Regency.
- 8 Soryar Beach (Pantai Soryar), Bindusi.
- 9 Wafsarak Waterfall (Air Terjun Wafsarak Warsa). Jump from the top of the waterfall. There is also a waterfall cave.
- 10 Wari beach (Pantai Wari).
- Boating to Numfoor Island, Rani Island, or Mapia Islands, the islands close to Palau.
- Cycling. Asana Biak Hotel provides some free bikes to get around the city.
- Diving on Padaido Islands. There are many spots such as an undersea cave, coral garden, and World War II wrecks below the sea.
- Festival Biak Munara Wampasi, performances of Biak's artistic and cultural traditions, including snap mor (catching fish in low tide) and apen bayeren (walking on hot rocks).
- 1 Iriani Art Shop, Fandoi, Biak Kota. 9AM-8PM. Papuan souvenirs.
- 2 Hadi Supermarket, Jl. Imam Bonjol No.56, Fandoi. 8AM-10PM. The largest supermarket in the city.
Barapen is a traditional cooking method using rocks in Biak. Ikan bakar (grilled fish) has become the main dish because of the abundant seafood. Other Indonesian cuisines are also served in Biak by people who moved there from Java and Sulawesi.
- 1 Warung Makan Dannis, Fandoi, ☏ +62 813 409 81068. 7AM-3PM. Indonesian food, rice with various side dishes.
There are a couple of fairly good hotels in Biak city.
- 1 Asana Biak, Jl. M Yamin No.04, Mandala (across the airport), ☏ +62 981 21139. The swimming pool faces a seacoast with a sunset view in the twilight. Start from Rp430,876.
- 2 Swiss-Belhotel Cendrawasih Biak, Jl. Imam Bonjol No.46, Fandoi, ☏ +62 981 8215555. a 4-star hotel. From Rp800,000.
- Serui, Kepulauan Yapen Regency. An hour away by plane.
- Waropen, land of a thousand mangroves. By fast boat.