Biei known as the "Hills town". It looks like a patchwork from a distance, field of different crops have been planted, called "Hills of patchwork". Many photographers gather.
Some hills were used for commercial advertising. Hill of them is named "Hill of Mild Seven", "Tree of Seven Stars", or "Tree of Ken and Mary".
Such as Shirogane hot springs, the eastern part of the town is included in the Daisetsuzan National Park.
- Shiki no Johokan (四季の情報館), 1-2-14 Honmachi (in front of the Biei station), ☏ . 08:00-19:00. Tourism information center of Biei. Staff speak English.
The closest airport to Biei is in Asahikawa, about 30 minutes away by bus or car.
Biei Station is served by the JR Furano Line, which connects Asahikawa and Furano. Local train runs 18 round trips to Asahikawa, and 11 round trips to Furano everyday.
"Express Lanebder" (快速ラベンダー号) runs via Biei, from Asahikawa to Furano with 8 round trips everyday.
The town center is easily covered by foot, but a car can be convenient to see the tourist spots. Bicycle can be rented, and bus/train are available as well.
There are 3 stations by JR Furano line in the town. From north to south,
- 1 Kita-Biei Station (北美瑛駅).
- 2 Biei Station (美瑛駅). Located in center of the town.
- 3 Bibaushi Station (美馬牛駅).
- 4 Rental Cycling, 1-6-26, Honmachi (本町1丁目6-26), ☏ . Biei has nice hills to ride, and several rental shops are available near Biei station, practicing more or less the same prices, most also have mountain bikes and mopeds. A map of courses can be downloaded from here [dead link]. ¥1000 a day, ¥200 an hour, triple for electric bicycles.
- 1 Hokusei no oka tenbō kōen (Outlook park of northwest hill) (北西の丘展望公園). There is observation deck and flower garden. You hope near by "Hills of pachwork" and Tokachi-dake range mountains in the distance.
- 2 Hills of Zerubu (ぜるぶの丘), Daisan (1 km northeast from center of the town along the National Route 237.), ☏ . Tourism garden. In addition to the flower garden, a observation deck, shop, restaurant and a buggy course. Entrance free.
- 3 Hill of Mild Seven (マイルドセブンの丘). The hill that was used in the commercial film of the "Mild Seven" cigarette.
- 4 Tree of Seven Stars (セブンスターの木). The tree that used in cigarettes package of "Seven Stars".
- 5 Tree of Ken and Mary (ケンとメリーの木). The tree that was used in the commercial film of the Nissan "Skyline".
- 6 Hill of Akabane (赤羽の丘), Akabane.
- 7 Shikisai no oka (四季彩の丘), Shinsei-Daisan 新星第三 (walk 25 min from Bibaushi station.), ☏ . There is observation deck and flower garden. Principle Free for charge. About ¥ 200 cooperation money.
- 8 San'ai no oka (三愛の丘), Midori, Sanai 三愛みどり. Observation deck on top of the hill.
- 9 Shin'ei no oka (新栄の丘), Bibaushi. Observation deck on top of the hill. The view spot to sight of sunset.
- 10 Takushinkan (拓真館), Takushin 字拓進, ☏ . Museum of photographer "Shinzo Maeda" who took many pictures of Biei. Free.
- 11 Blue pond (青い池). Made famous by a Mac desktop background, this lake has trees in its blue water. Large parking available. 18 km from Biei, 2.5 km from the Shirogane hot spring.
- 1 Biei Poteto no Oka (美瑛ポテトの丘), Ōmura-Murayama 大村村山, ☏ . Domitory room (youth hostel), Private room, Cottage, Log house ¥4950+.
- 2 Bibaushi Libaty Youth Hostel (美馬牛リバティーユースホステル), 1-1-24, Bibaushi-Minami 美馬牛南1-1-24 (1 min walk from Bibaushi station.), ☏ . B&B style, no dinner. Irregular opened in winter. Domitory stay +Breakfast ¥4580.
- 3 Cress (クレス), 1-5-10, Kitamachi 北町1丁目5-10 (5mnt walk north from Biei station.), ☏ , fax: . Inn for single use mainly.
- 4 Shirogane Onsen Hotel (湯元 白金温泉ホテル), Shirogane 字白金 (25km southeast from center of town.), ☏ , fax: . Bath is hot spring with outdoor bath. Only bathing ¥800. (11:00-17:00).
- 5 Shirogane Park Hills (白金四季の森ホテルパークヒルズ), 白金温泉, ☏ . Far from the city center, but good to relax. Hot spring. Free shuttle bus to the city once a day at dinner time. Only bathing ¥1000.