market town in the metropolitan borough of the City of Bradford, in West Yorkshire, England
From Bradford Bingley can be accessed by bus, train (from Forster Square station) or, very pleasantly in summer, by canal boat.
- 1 Five-Rise Locks (Leeds-Liverpool Canal), Beck Lane, Bingley. The Five-Rise Locks is an impressive, Grade I-listed staircase lock on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal at Bingley, first opened in 1774, and therefore a remarkable relic of the early Industrial and transport revolution in northern England. As the name suggests, a canal boat passing through the hinged gates of the lock is lifted or lowered in five stages. The Five-Rise is notable as the steepest flight of locks in the UK, with a gradient of about 1:5 (a rise of over 59 feet, or 18 metres) over a distance of 320 feet / 98 metres. The intermediate and bottom gates are also the tallest in the country. The Five-Rise Locks is a major tourist attraction in the Aire Valley and the town of Bingley. Boats that pass through attract a lot of attention, especially at weekends when large crowds may be attracted to watch the locks in operation. Free.
- 1 Leeds and Liverpool Canal. Take a walk along the banks of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, an impressive relic of the Industrial Age—still in daily use by canal boats—and early modern engineering feat. Walking north-west towards Skipton from the centre of town, past many typical mill buildings, visitors will encounter first the Three-Rise Locks, before reaching the spectacular Five-Rise Locks.
- 2 Bingley St Ives (St. Ives Estate). The St Ives Estate is a wonderful Country Park with woodlands, open moor, and a wildflower meadow, and paths throughout. The Adventure Playground is a fantastic feature for the children, and Coppice Pond offers both fishing opportunities, and a chance to feed the ducks.
The main Damart mill has a factory shop and once a month there is a Damart sale at a different venue nearby.
- 1 Five Rise Locks Hotel and Restaurant, Beck Lane, Bingley, Yorkshire BD16 4DD, ☏ . A family run hotel and restaurant in a former mill building, with pleasant view over the Aire river valley and Bingley town. £70-£112.
- Ramada Jarvis Hotel, Bradford Road Bingley, BD16 1TU, ☏ . This Gothic styled mansion is set among eight acres of stunning landscaped gardens. Bistro & regional dishes are served in The Arts Brasserie. £60 p/n.