island of Equatorial Guinea
Bioko (formerly known as "Fernando Pó") is a large island in Equatorial Guinea, and location of the country's capital.
Igbo is spoken as a minority language here.
- 1 [dead link] Malabo International Airport (SSG IATA). International carriers include Ceiba (3 flights a week from Madrid), Turkish Airlines (from Istanbul), Air France (from Paris), Ethiopian Airlines (from Addis Ababa), Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Malabo, Royal Air Maroc, and Ethiad. There are a few regional airlines offering service to surrounding countries and to Bata on the mainland: Ceiba and Chronos. Travel on these internal carriers should be duly considered, as there is no capability of enforcing airworthiness standards in Equatorial Guinea and air traffic control is marginal at best. Ethiopian Airlines, the airline with the most international destinations within Africa, flies 3 times per week with connections through cities such as Douala and their main hub in Addis Ababa. Aero Contractors flies to Malabo from Lagos, Nigeria en route Libreville every Tuesday and Saturday. A Boeing 737-400 is used for this route.
Ferries sail from Douala and Bata to Malabo port.
- Pico Basilé. Equatorial Guinea's highest mountain.
- Lago Biao.
- Lago Loreto
- Finca Sampaka - a traditional cocoa farm
- Sipopo - artificial beach built around the Sofitel Hotel and the islet of Horacio
- Cascadas Iladyi
- 1 Universidad Nacional de Guinea Ecuatorial, Luba Road. UNGE’s campus surrounds a common grass covered area with a statue of Teodoro Obiang, the current president of Equatorial Guinea. The original buildings on the UNGE campus were built by the Spanish when the Spanish governed the island. The original buildings reflect a Spanish colonial architectural style with frequent use of arches and low sprawling buildings. The classrooms in the older part of the university are arranged in a semi-circle around the lawn. There is a new building on the south side of the university built in a more modern style. The walls are light coloured and reflective, reducing the amount of passive solar heat produced in the building. The rooms are large and have large windows, which take advantage of natural lighting. The building is square and glossy. There is a small library at the university.
- 2 St. Elisabeth's Cathedral.
- Ilachi Waterfall (Moka surroundings). This waterfall is the longest one in the country, more than 250 m-tall. The route would last around an hour to the waterfalls. It will include trekking across the jungle and crossing some rivers. Sometimes the fog blocks the views.
- Old Town. The historic quarter of Malabo, with a Catholic church and splendid Spanish colonial-style buildings. It also provides a gorgeous view of the harbour.
- Malabo National Park, covers an area of 870,000 meter squared, this park offers sports area. It was established in June 2016.
- Casa de Kristalysky-boy-gastaho, hiking.
- Hacienda Natividad, hiking.
- 1 L'Attelier, ☏ . Local ingredients and tasteful dishes like prawns and creme brulee.
- 2 Aviator Pub & Café, Avenida de la Libertad 322, ☏ . Eat and take-away.
- Cacahual MEGPL club House.
- Restaurant Pizzeria Times.
- Restaurante Imagine.
- Restaurante Africano Candy.
- Pizza Place Paraiso.
- Pizzeria Italiana.
- Complejo el Caribe.
- Olympus Skybar.
- Garden Lounge.
- Cafe Maria.
- Kristal Lounge Malabo.
- Bar Baney.