Black Diamond and Turner Valley are twin towns tucked into the foothills at the base of the Rocky Mountains, separated by the Sheep River. Black Diamond gains its name from the nearby coal deposits, while Turner Valley is named after Robert and John Turner who settled in the area.
Alberta's first major oil and natural gas field was discovered in 1914 at Turner Valley, subsequent discoveries kept the oil and gas scene active in the Turner Valley area for the next 30 years. The Turner Valley Gas Plant was constructed shortly after the initial discovery, was operational until 1985, and now designated as a national and provincial historic site.
Black Diamond and Turner Valley at the junction of the Cowboy Trail (Highway 22) and Highway 7, 22 km (14 mi) west of Okotoks and 66 km (41 mi) southwest of Calgary.
Black Diamond and Turner Valley are connected by Highway 22, it takes less than 5 minutes to drive between the two communities. The Friendship Trail runs parallel to the highway which allows for walking or cycling between the two towns.
- 1 Turner Valley Gas Plant, Sunset Boulevard SE, Turner Valley, ☏ . Sa Su 10AM - 5PM. Western Canada's first commercial oilfield and processing plant in Turner Valley. Take a guided tour around the site, exhibit hall, and through some of the historic buildings and explore the birthplace of Alberta's petroleum industry.
- Anchor D Outfitting, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Horseback vacations, ranging from a 2- to 3-hour guided trail ride in the high foothills, ranch or mountain day rides, a family-friendly weekend in the saddle, or a 4- or 7-day adventure ride.
- Turner Valley Golf Club, 700 Imperial Drive, Turner Valley, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Full Circle Adventures, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Off the beaten path adventure company providing customers with a unique outdoor experience by leading wild, edible plant walks and hikes in the summer and snowshoe safety and winter survival in the winter.
- Bluerock Gallery, 110 Centre Avenue W, Black Diamond, ☏ . Represents approximately 200 regional artists, most of whom are within a 160-km radius.
- Sandul’s Pharmacy, 127 Centre Avenue W, Black Diamond, ☏ . Meets pharmaceutical needs and specializes in British imports.
- Vale’s Greenhouse, 301 3 Street NW, Black Diamond.
- Leighton Art Centre, 282027 144 Street W, Millarville, ☏ . Art gallery, museum and arts education centre on 80 acres north of Turner Valley, near Millarville.
- [dead link] Millarville Farmers' Market, Millarville Race Track (20 minutes south of Calgary), Millarville (north of Turner Valley along Hwy 22, near Millarville), ☏ . Jun-Nov: Sa 9AM-2PM. The hamlet of Millarville is roughly 45 minutes SW of Calgary. Millarville holds the largest farmers market in Southern Alberta, with fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, home-baked pies, cut and potted flowers, crafts and original jewellery and artwork. Take some time to enjoy free entertainment, grab some breakfast, or browse the craft stands and chat with the artists.
- [dead link] Black Diamond Bakery & Coffee Shop, 119 Centre Avenue W, Black Diamond, ☏ .
- [dead link] Chuckwagon Café & Cattle Co., 105 Sunset Boulevard NW, Turner Valley, ☏ . All-day breakfast. More than half the beef comes from their own ranch.
- Country Store Diner, 146 Main Street, Turner Valley, ☏ . Serves classic comfort foods like perogies and sausage, country fried chicken, baked spaghetti, patty melts, pizza and burgers.
- Marv’s Classic Soda Shop, 121 Centre Avenue W, Black Diamond, ☏ .
- Black Diamond Hotel, 105 Centre Avenue S, Black Diamond, ☏ . Saloon-style bar beneath this hotel dates back to 1929.
- Eau Claire Distillery, 113 Sunset Boulevard NW, Turner Valley, ☏ . Set in a repurposed 1929 movie theatre, Eau Claire Distillery offers a variety of unique, handcrafted cocktails made from their specialty batches of gin, vodka and whisky.
- Hard Knox Brewery, 445 1 Avenue NE, Black Diamond, ☏ .
- Bob Lochhead Memorial Park (Black Diamond Campground / Foothills Lions Club Campground), Centre Ave (Hwy 22) & 5 St SW, Black Diamond, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 1PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Turner Valley Municipal Campground (part of Dr. Lander Memorial Swimming Pool), 207 Main St NW (Hwy 22), Turner Valley, ☏ . $33.
- Sheep River Provincial Park (21 km west of Turner Valley on Hwy 546), ☏ . Two campgrounds (Blue Rock and Sandy McNabb), within Kananaskis Country.
|Routes through Black Diamond and Turner Valley|
|END ←||W E||→ Okotoks → ENDS at N S|
|Cochrane ← Bragg Creek ← Jct E ←||N S||→ Longview → ENDS at E W|