The park is 6 km from Swellendam, 240 km from Cape Town and 540 km from Port Elizabeth. Follow the N2 highway, until you reach a (brown) sign saying 'Bontebok National Park'. The last 5 km from the N2 access road are gravel, as are all other roads within the park.
Swellengrebel Airport is close to the park, but can handle light aircraft only.
Valid to 31 October 2017
- South African citizens and residents (with ID): R37 per adult, R18 per child, per day
- SADC nationals (with passport): R50 per adult, R25 per child, per day
- Foreign visitors: R100 per adult, R50 per child, per day
Either with your car or by foot on one of the hiking trails. Note that all roads within the park are gravel roads.
There are around 300 Bontebok in the park. Before the park was founded, only 17 of this species remained alive, due to excessive hunting. Today around 3000 individuals form the world population, of which ten percent can be seen here. There are also a number of Mountain Zebra, Red Hartebeest, and smaller antelopes. The park also has a variety of birdlife, with more than 200 recorded species.
The Bontebok NP is located within the Cape Floral Kingdom (fynbos), the smallest of the six worldwide kingdoms, but the one with the highest number of different species.
- Go on a game drive or enjoy the beauty of this land during a relaxed braai (South African for barbeque).
- Two short hiking trails start and end at the rest camp.
- Bath in the Breede River (only near the camp).
- Angle in the Breede River (get hold of an Angling permit at a local post office first).
You can buy refreshments, gifts and some basic products at the parks shop, at the entrance. Please note that you have to go to Swellendam to buy fresh produce. Petrol and diesel are available inside the parks borders.
Eat & drinkEdit
Get your food in Swellendam! The shop at the park entrance only offers a limited number of meat, bread and drinks.
- 6-berth caravans/chalets with basic kitchen facilities and bath room are available
- The campsite is located close to the Breede River. Please reserve in advance, as there is only very limited camping accommodation possible.