county of Hungary
Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county is in Northern Hungary.
|1 Miskolc (Felsőzsolca, Alsózsolca, Nyékládháza, Onga, Emőd, Sajóbábony)|
With the unique cave bath in Miskolctapolca, the third largest city in the coutry, near the Bükk hills
|2 Ózd (Borsodnádasd)|
|3 Kazincbarcika (Sajószentpéter, Rudabánya)|
|4 Mezőkövesd (Mezőkeresztes)|
Spa with hot mineral water.
|5 Edelény (Szendrő)|
|6 Putnok |
|7 Szikszó |
|8 Sátoraljaújhely (Pálháza)|
Main sights are the Ferenc Kazinczy Museum, Prison Museum, Museum of Hungarian Language, Town Hall, Saint Stephen Church, Pauline-Piarist Church and Monastery, Ferenc Kazinczy Memorial Hall, Zemplén Adventure Park. In the surroundings: Romanesque Church in Felsőregmec, Castle of Füzér, Heritage Museum in Füzér, Károlyi Palace in Füzérradvány, Porcelain Museum in Hollóháza, Forest Railway in Pálháza.
|9 Sárospatak (Cigánd)|
Main sights are the Castle of Sárospatak (Rákóczi Museum) and the Scientific Collections of Sárospatak Reformed College. Other sights: Gallery, Basilica, Trinitarian Monastery, Végardó Bath, Tarn on Megyer Hill. In the surroundings: Romanesque Church in Bodrogolaszi, Bodrogköz Museum in Cigánd, Rusyn Heritage Museum in Komlóska, Synagogue Memorial Place in Olaszliszka, Mágóchy-Alaghy-Sennyei Mansion in Pácin, Ethnographic Exhibition Site in Sárazsadány, Wine Museum in Tolcsva.
|10 Szerencs |
|11 Encs |
|12 Tokaj |
A famous wine town producing high quality white wines.
|13 Gönc (Abaújszántó)|
- 1 Aggtelek – Beautiful caves with dripstones and stalagmites, part of UNESCO World Heritage List
- 2 Lillafüred – Palace Hotel with forest train, park and lake - surrounded by romantic hills
- 3 Mád – 10 km from Szerencs Town. This is a village with a special atmosphere situated in the heart of the Tokaj wine region, UNESCO World Heritage site. Need to visit: Malonyay house, Rákóczi-Aspremont castle, Foothills Hegyalja Savings Bank building, historic synagogue (Europa Nostra Award-winning) and the Old Jewish Cemetery, Roman Catholic Church, Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church, Reformed Church and Chapel, Wine cellars
- 4 Tokaj-Hegyalja. — historic wine region
- 1 [dead link] Bodrogkeresztúr. Bodrogzug, Jewish cemetery with Miracle-working rabbi's grave. Visit the Hungarian Motor Museum. For more info: Water and cycling tourism information center. Tours to Tokaj-Bodrogzug Landscape Protection Area (Tokaj-Bodrogzug Tájvédelmi Körzet).
- 2 Boldogkőváralja (52 km northeast of Miskolc). Castle of Boldogkő (with exhibits of archaeological, military history, tin soldier, coat of arms and flag, prison and torture, chamber, smithy numismatic, mineral, statue). Country House (Tájház) include Collections about: Local History, Presentation of the Zemplén Mountains natural values, Use tools, Blacksmithing. Péchy-Zichy castle with an ancient Landscape Park (Kossuth Lajos u. 2), visited after prior agreement. Visit and taste at Bestillo Palinka House (Bestillo Pálinkaház); onion form helmeted Roman Catholic Church in Baroque style; Greek Orthodox Church in 1766 with icons. Sleep: Three guesthouses, a Pansion, and a tourist house provides accommodation.
- 3 Boldva (from Miskolc 15 km N). Sights: Reformed Church and the ruins of the monastery, built in the 12th century. It had been built in romanesque style, in basilica form with 3 naves and 2 towers at the eastern sied of the building, Castle of the Szathmáry family (19th century), Roman Catholic Church (1838-39), houses with porch, Szathmary Garden, Village Museum with four collections.
- 4 Dédestapolcsány (from Miskolc approx. 30 km north-west). Dédes Castle ruins and Lázbérc Reservoir Protected Area in the Uppony Mountains, extends between Uppony and Dédestapolcsány villages. Free to visit; Serényi Castle (1903, eclectic style), House of Crockery collection (Cserépedény-gyűjtemény). Take a tour in Damasa ravine, 170 m deep, even summer some snow could be see here.
- 5 Edelény (N 25 km of Miskolc). Palace of L'Huillier-Coburg, Borsod motte, earths fortress (Borsodi földvár), Sacred Heart of Jesus Roman Catholic Church (Jézus Szíve római katolikus templom). Roman Catholic Church of Finke (Finkei római katolikus templom), Borsodi Reformed Church, Fink-Downtown Presbyterian Church, Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Church (Szent Kereszt görög katolikus templom)
- 6 Fáj (NE 50 km of Miskolc). Palace of Fáy an U-shaped, 'cour d'honneur' form mansion with mansard roof.
- 7 Gönc (NE 65 km of Miskolc). Sights in the village: Hussite house, Palffy Palace, Gaspar Karolyi statue of the Protestant church garden, Old Jewish Cemetery, Karolyi Gaspar Museum, Bible Exhibition in addition to the Reformed Church. Sights in outskirts: Paulines monastery ruins, Ruins of Amadé's Fort.
- 8 Kelemér (51 km NW of Miskolc). Lakes of Mohos, Reformed Church (14th century), Tompa Mihály's House, Folk architecture.
- 9 Ózd (Ouz) (40 km NW of Miskolc). Former Casino (neo-Renaissance style, 1884); City museum, Technical outdoor open-air museum;Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church (1891-1893); St. Simon and St. Jude's Roman Catholic Church in Szentsimon settlement, (13th-century, Romanesque, rebuilt in 14-15th century, Gothic); Queen of the Rosary Church and Parish; Immaculate Conception Church (Gothic, 15th-century, partly 19th, 20th century) St. John the Baptist Church (Hodoscsépány); Protection of Mother of God Greek Orthodox Church (2000); Lutheran Church (1902, Neo-Gothic); Reformed Church (1905).
- 10 Rakaca (67 km N of Miskolc). Reservoir, anglers paradise and Greek Catholic pilgrimage site.
- 11 Regéc (64 km NE of Miskolc). Castle ruin, Roman Catholic Church (1904), Greek Catholic Church (1956).
- 12 Répáshuta (Slovak Répášska Huta) (20 km from Miskolc). Balla Cave, Rejtek Nature Trails. Passed by the Countrywide Blue Tour
- 13 Sajószentpéter (13 km from Miskolc). Reformed Church (14th century), Gedeon family mansion, Country House, Roman Catholic Church (Kossuth u.22), Greek Catholic Church (Vörösmarty u. 12), Outdoor mining museum.
- 14 [dead link] Szalonna (50 km N from Miskolc). Arpad Era Painted Church (13th century).
- 15 Szendrő (40 km N of Miskolc, trains and buses from there). Castles (Lower, Bebek, German) remains, lot of biking, walking tour depart or passed, Blue Painter's House Museum, School History Exhibition, Szendrői Cave.
- 16 Szerencs (30 km E from Miskolc). Rákóczi Castle (built on the ruins of a Benedictine Abbey, in 1550s); Roman Catholic Church (built in baroque style in 1774); Calvinist Church (built in Gothic style at the end of the 13th century); Greek Catholic Church (Ondi Street, built in 1700s), Sugar Museum, Postcard Museum, Toy Museum, Town Bath.
- 17 Szomolya (12 km from Mezőkövesd). Beehive Stone, Caveflats.
- 18 Szögliget (60 km N of Miskolc). Castle of Szádvár remains (2 km away), Derenk village ruins, A monument to Catholic church, István Duber County House (Petofi street); former Vice Admiral Miklós Horthy unified hunting area center (Szelcepuszta); Ménes Lake (outdoor sports facilities); Rejtek-zsomboly (Rejtek Cave) since 1995 part of World Heritage list, Quarries in the village outskirts, Derenk's chariot road between Szögliget and Körtvélyes.
- 19 Tarcal (trains from Hatvan, Miskolc, Szerencs, Sátoraljaújhely, Nyíregyháza). Palace of Tarcal, Kengyel-Lake, Roman Catholic chapel (17th century, late baroque style). St. Theresa's Chapel (18th century, Baroque style). Synagoge (around 1800). Reformed Church (Late Baroque style, 1797). Roman Catholic parish church (Gothic, 15th century). Mine lake, Királyudvár winery.
- 20 Taktabáj (Báj) (near Tokaj). Reformed Church (built between 1782-1784, rococo); Former PalacePatay (now a school); Avar archaeological sites.
- 21 Tállya (45 km E of Miskolc). Roman Catholic Church (Baroque, Gothic partially); Reformed Church (Baroque, 1753); Lutheran Church (late Baroque); Castle Ruins; Rákóczi mansion (17th century); Maillot Castle (1720); Central European Art Collection (the castle Maillot); Balogh Mansion (Louis XVI style, late 18th century, private property); Post House (18th century, the village post office operates since 1567); Encsy collection (minerals, fossils, prehistoric artifacts); Mailloth Palace, 'Center of Europe' (Phoenix) sculpture (indicated by the geometric center of Europe), part of Tokaj wine region World Heritage.
- 22 Tornaszentandrás (30 km N from Edelény). Take a tour in Esztramos Mount, Explore Rakoczi Caves (No.1 and 2) part of World Heritage list.
- 23 Vizsoly (55 km NE of Miskolc). Gothic Reformed Church, St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Parish Church (1799). Greek Catholic Church (1901). Granary (Baroque style, the second half of the 18th century). Quarry (a geological exhibitory place). Hernád (a serpentine river, offers bathing, rafting, kayaking, fishing).