Callao is a constitutional region in the Peruvian coast conurbation to Lima. Includes the districts of Callao, La Perla, La Punta, Bellavista, Ventanilla, Carmen de la Legua y Reynoso and Mi Perú.
- 1 Fortaleza del Real Felipe (Museo Histórico del Real Felipe), Av. Oscar R. Benavides, Callao (fronted by Plaza Independencia), ☏ . 09ː00-16ː00, closed M. Constructed in 1747. Originally built to protect Lima from pirates during the viceroyalty period, this fort then featured prominently in the defense of the emerging new nation against Spain in 1866.
- , Avenida Faucett 3479, Callao, ☏ .
- 2 , Jr. José Gálvez 123, Callao, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Su 09:00-16:00. Covers the history of the Peruvian navy. And you can walk along the promenade in front and even take a short cruise in the harbor (extra fee). Adults S/3; students and children S/2.
- 3 (BAP Abtao), Jorge Chavez 120-A. roughly 09ː30-16ː30, closed M. An old submarine that you can can go inside, built in 1952 by American Electric Boat company, purchased by Peru in 1954. S/10.
- 1 Villa La Punta, Medina 560, ☏ . A bed & breakfast out on La Punta (the peninsula that projects out into the Pacific from the rest of Callao). 140 Soles.
- 2 Seamen's Club Perú, Gamarra 486. A colonial house fashioned into a guest house by the sea.
- 3 Holiday Inn Lima Airport, Ave. Tomas Valle S/N Esq Ave, ☏ . A handy place to stay if you want to be by the airport, at a price, naturally. Includes indoor pool, airport shuttle, restaurant/bar, and breakfast buffet. 291 Soles.
- Pay Purix, Av. Bertello Bolatti (Intersections Avenues Japón and Bocanegra), Av. Japón (Ex Bertello), Mz. F, Lote 5, Urb. Los Jazmines, 1ra. Etapa, Callao, ☏ . 8-min walk from the airport, a very cheap taxi ride, or you can use their pickup service. Private rooms available. This hostel has a cool yet clean vibe to it with a bar in the back. The owner is very helpful and make sure to ask him the easy way to get to Lima Center (you will save a lot of taxi fares). Dorms range from S/32-40.