Canterano is in Lazio. This is a picturesque town right in the heart of Italy on the Appennines. What most characterizes this place is its unspoiled nature and traditions which are visible still today. Its history is characterized by a mixture of legends and actual facts. That is why it is not surprising that its coat of arms is represented by a small boat, even though the seaside is at least 80 km away.
From Rome take Autostrada A24 in the direction of L'Aquila. Leave the highway at Vicovaro-Mandela and follow the directions to Subiaco and/or Canterano.
Take the bus Roma-A24-Subiaco at the bus station of Ponte Mammolo (also a line B metro station). Get off at the stop near the crossroads to Canterano, Madonna della Pace (you can ask the bus driver to be sure), and then get the bus Subiaco-Rocca di mezzo and get off at the first/second/third/fourth stop or you can try hitchiking. Another option is to get off at the last stop in Subiaco and then get the bus Subiaco-Rocca di mezzo and follow the instructions above-mentioned. You can check the bus timetable at CO.TRA.L.'s website.
The city is really small, so you can easily get everywhere on foot.
- Santa Maria and San Mauro church: this is the main church where the most important religious ceremonies take place. If you want to visit it, but it is closed, just ask after the priest and he will show you around the church. Inside there are many statues dedicated to the saint patrons of the city.
- Santa Maria church: This is one of the oldest churches. Here is conserved the biggest statue of the Virgin Mary in Canterano. It weighs as much as 800 kilos and it is carried on shoulders by eight people, who constantly alternate with other people belonging to the same confraternity, during a procession which takes place in the evening on the 1st August and in the morning on the 2nd August. During the month of August the statue is moved to the main church.
- San Rocco church
- Sant'Antonio church
- Virgin Mary's Sanctuary: this is the only sanctuary of the village. It is in the country and that is where the procession above-mentioned ends. The interior is characterized by an ancient painting. Beside the sanctuary is a deconsacrated cemetery.
- Morritana: this is the highest point of the city. There is a small path which leads to the peak of the mountain where there is a big cross. From here you can enjoy a wonderful view of the surrounding valley and of the city center from on high. This is the perfect place to observe sky at night and especially during summer it is easy to spot shooting stars.
- Riccia wood: this is the most famous wood, where you can easily take a relaxing stroll.
- Take part in all of the most important religious festivities which take place in August.
- Try homemade products and locally produced wine.
- Try to get invited for a meal at someone's house and ask for the most famous legends of the place.
- Take a walk in the wild and enjoy the serenity of these places.
- Go mushrooms/seasonal fruit picking.
Once you are in Canterano you should try its most famous sweet dishes. One of the most renowned is "Salame del re", characterized by a rolled layer of sponge cake covered with chocolate cream. You should also try milk biscuits and doughnuts made with anise and wine.
Local wine produced by local farmers.
For further information you can try to contact the city hall at this number: +39 0774803023.