Carlisle is a town in Massachusetts.
Carlisle is a small town in the northwest suburbs of Boston, Massachusetts. Its low population density gives it a much more rural feel than the neighboring towns. Carlisle is known for its outdoor activities including hiking and biking.
Driving is the easiest way to get to Carlisle. If coming from the Boston area, take MA Rte. 2 to Concord and Lowell Rd north from Concord Center to Carlisle. Or from I-95, take the exit for MA Rte. 225 West in Lexington. Drive through Bedford and into Carlisle.
Carlisle is a popular destination for cyclists. Many enter on Concord Rd (Lowell Rd in Concord) or Bedford Rd (MA Rte. 225). The Minuteman Bikeway begins in Cambridge and terminates near Bedford Center. From Bedford Center, follow MA Rte. 225 to Carlisle.
The Bruce Freeman Rail Trail crosses MA Rte. 225 just across the border into Westford and extends 6.8 miles north through Westford and Chelmsford to Lowell. The trail is planned to be extended in the future south to Framingham.
There is no public transportation in Carlisle. Driving and biking are the easiest ways to get around. There are also many trails and walking paths that go through Great Brook Farm State Park and other town conservation lands.
- Great Brook Farm State Park, 165 North Rd, ☏ . Dawn to Dusk. Hike or bike 20 miles of trails around operating farm fields and through the forest. There is a boat launch onto a small pond for canoes and kayaks. Come in the winter for cross-country skiing when there is sufficient snow cover. During the spring, summer, and fall the farm offers tours of the dairy barn and there is also an ice cream stand.
- Great Brook Cross Country Ski Touring Center, 1018 Lowell St, ☏ . One of the few cross-country ski areas in the Boston area. Only open when there is snow on the ground. Night skiing available a few nights a week.
- Carlisle Conservation Lands. Town owned conservation land can be found throughout Carlisle and all areas have hiking trails. A trail guide and map can be purchased at Ferns Country Store [dead link].
- [dead link] Ferns Country Store, 8 Lowell St # 12, ☏ .
- Kimball Farm Ice Cream, 343 Bedford Road, ☏ .
- Great Brook Farm Ice Cream, 247 North Rd, ☏ . 11AM - Dusk, Mid-April - October 31. Ice cream stand located at Great Brook Farm State Park. Look at and feed farm animals and get a tour of the dairy barn.