Europe > Britain and Ireland > United Kingdom > England > North West England > Cumbria > Brampton (Cumbria)
Brampton is a market town in Cumbria, UK. It is 10 miles 16 km east of Carlisle.
Disc parking zones : - Brampton, in central areas, operates a disc parking system. Any motorist may park in a disc zone for a limited period without charge, provided that a valid clock disc set to the time of arrival is prominently displayed in the vehicle. Clock discs are available free of charge from council offices, tourist information centres and various shops and business outlets throughout the county. If you don’t have a clock disc it is acceptable to prominently display a hand written note with your arrival time in the vehicle. The maximum duration of stay in each disc zone is clearly indicated on the signs displayed on the street where you have parked.
There are regular bus services, number 685 from Carlisle to Newcastle and 680 from Carlisle to Alston and Nenthead.
Carlisle airport is 5 miles (8 km) to the west, but as of October 2018, there are no commercial passenger flights.
It is possible to walk around Brampton. However if you need a taxi then Brampton Cars are the local choice. Telephone: +44 1697 73386
- The moot hall and Hadrian's statue.
- St Martin's Church is famous as the only church designed by the Pre-Raphaelite architect Philip Webb, and contains one of the most exquisite sets of stained glass windows designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones, and executed in the William Morris studio.
- 1 Lanercost Priory, Lanercost, CA8 2HQ (3 miles north-west of Brampton), ☏ . adults £3.50, children £2.10, concessions £3.20.
- 2 Birdoswald Roman Fort, Gilsland, CA8 7DD (7 miles north-east of Brampton), ☏ . adults £5.40, children £3.20, concessions £4.90.
- 3 The Capon Tree Monument, Capon Tree Road, CA8 1QW (south of town just north of the by-pass). Outside the town centre was the scene of the 1746 hanging of six of Bonnie Prince Charlie's supporters.
- Visit Hadrian's wall.
- Walk around the town and visit the local church with its stained glass windows.
- 1 Talkin Tarn Country Park (two miles south of Brampton on the B6413 Castle Carrock road). There is a 65-acre lake set amid 120 acres of farmland and woodland. The tarn is an ideal place for active recreation or a quiet stroll through the mature woodlands. The tarn is glacial in origin, being formed about 10,000 years ago, and is fed by underground streams. You can sail, windsurf, canoe or hire one of the wooden rowing boats. Fishing is available at the Tarn. There is a small camping and caravan site, and a permanent orienteering course is laid out around the park. The shop hires mountain bikes and there are suggested routes taking you through beautiful countryside. There is a 1.3-mile (2-km) path round the tarn which is suitable for wheelchairs.
- Music on the Marr folk music festival in the summer in Castle Carrock
The town has many small shops.
- The Cumbrian Antiques Centre, St Martin's Hall, Front St..
The Jacobite tea rooms offer day time meals. There are also Indian, Chinese and a fish & chip shop for take aways. The Off the Wall Cafe offers a range of drinks and lunch time meals.
- 1 Brambles Bistro, 34 Main Street, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Serving fine food and drinks throughout the day
- 2 Capernaum Bistro, 23/25 Market Place, CA8 1RW, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Comfortable, relaxing restaurant, good food and wine menu, food nicely presented and really tasty, professional and friendly staff.
The Duke of Cumberland pub in Castle Carrock serves meals at lunch and dinner time and a range of drinks throughout the day.
The number of pubs in the village has dropped off significantly with many closed and boarded up.
- 1 The Howard Arms, Front Street, CA8 1NG, ☏ . Dog friendly fairly large pub with two fires! Serves one or two real ales and does good pub lunches. Rooms are also available.
- 2 The Blacksmith Arms Inn, Talkin, CA8 1LE, ☏ . A well-run village pub with good beer and good food. Also does rooms.
- 3 The Shoulder of Mutton, Front Street. The locals pub in the village.
- White Lion Hotel, High Cross St, CA8 1RP, ☏ .
Outside the town there are plenty of country inns and up-market hotels.
With Hadrian's Wall nearby there is also plenty of self-catering accommodation to chose from .