Ceduna is a rough fishing port at the western base of the Eyre Peninsula and on the Eyre Highway.
The only way to get here is by the Eyre Highway. From Adelaide, it's about a 7 hour drive here, by using the Port Wakefield Highway, Pt. Augusta Highway and the Eyre Highway (all A1) mostly passing through the Outback.
- Ceduna Jetty, Foreshore. Long pier offering good views of the ocean and beach.
- Ceduna Museum, 2 Park Terrace. 10AM-noon. $3.50.
- Ceduna Aboriginal Arts & Culture Centre (Tjutjuna Arts), 2 Eyre Highway. M-F 9AM-5PM. Interesting local art for display and sale
- Oysterfest. Occurs in late September.
Petrol is 20c/litre more than in Adelaide.
- Ceduna Foreshore Hotel Motel Bistro, 32 O'Loughlin Terrace. Decent food in a modern pub overlooking the water. $15-30.
- Ceduna Oyster Bar, Eyre Highway (north along the foreshore). Good oysters.
- Bill's Pizza, Pasta and Grill, 39-41 Poynton St. Wide variety of food, eat-in or takeaway.
- Thevenard Hotel (Thevy Pub), 115 Thevenard Rd, (follow the bay around to Thevenard, just passed Thevenard Sporting Grounds on your left), ☏ . Drive-thru takeaway available (pre-order meal & pick up inside or through drive-thru when cooked).
- Mozzies Truckstop & Diner, 57 McKenzie St. Best coffee.
- Ceduna Foreshore Hotel Motel, 32 O'Loughlin Terrace (on the foreshore). Pricy but nice modern pub/hotel overlooking the water. $225 for seaviews.
- Highway One Motor Inn. At the BP service station at west end of town, close to the waterfront. $120-150.
- Ceduna Shelly Beach Caravan Park, 244 Decres Bay Rd (Bosanquet Bay; turn at Toyota , eastern side of Ceduna along highway, and turn right at the end of Hastings Road, park is then on your left), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10AM. from $15 for self-contained.
Telstra has mobile service. Vodafone does not.
Smoky Bay is 45 km Southeast of Ceduna along the coastal B100 route. Along the entrance to Smoky Bay, on your left, you will see Aquaculture Park where the famous Smoky Bay oysters are produced. Within Aquaculture Park, at 6/8 Sandy Creek Drive, Smoky Bay you can take a tour of a working oyster shed and oyster farm. Penong is the next town from Ceduna going West approximately 71 km. Penong is the home of The Windmill Museum. Fowlers Bay is the next port to the west. The turnoff is 106 km west of Ceduna, then a 20-km road (half of it a good dirt road) leads to a sleepy holiday village that was once an important port. Cabins and caravan parking is available and a kiosk. Placards near the jetty tell the story of the town.
Streaky Bay is another small fishing port 30 minutes south of Ceduna.
Ceduna is one of the closest settlements to 1 Emu Field, an extremely remote RAAF nuclear weapons test site where the British government conducted a pair of test explosions in 1953. There is a concrete obelisk at the location, ca. 500 km northeast of Ceduna, which can be visited with RAAF permission. Visitors may find souvenirs in the form of vitrified sand, and the concentric blast rings are still visible. The only way to reach the site is by private transport (car, taxi) which takes circa 15 hours.