Listed north to south
- 1 Townsville - unofficial capital of North Queensland with about 160,000 people (including Thuringowa)
- 2 Ayr
- 3 Bowen
- 4 Charters Towers - this town on the frontier between coast and country has a colourful history in gold mining and agriculture.
- 5 Airlie Beach
- 6 Proserpine
- 7 Mackay - the 'sugar capital' is full of Australian history and boasts a beautiful tropical botanic gardens.
- 8 Yeppoon
- 9 Rockhampton - the commercial centre of the region, promoting itself as the "beef capital of Australia"
- 10 Gladstone - this port town allows visitors to experience hundreds of years of industrial history through museums and tours.
- 11 Town of 1770 (Seventeen Seventy) - this town on the frontier between coast and country has a colourful history in gold mining and agriculture. The nearby resort of Agnes Water contains the most northerly surfing beach on Australia's east coast.
- 12 Bundaberg – sugarcane, rum and ginger beer
- 13 Gin Gin – the longest unsupported tunnel in the Southern Hemisphere
- 14 Childers – many historic colonial buildings
- 15 Hervey Bay – whale and dolphin watching and the gateway to Fraser Island
- 16 Maryborough
- 17 Rainbow Beach – picturesque coastal town hosting some of Queensland's best activities
- 18 Kilkivan
- 1 Paluma - southern rainforest town near Townsville
- 2 Magnetic Island
- 3 Whitsunday Islands - 74 perfect islands off the coast of tourist haven Airlie Beach, with white-sand beaches and clear turquoise water all around
- 4 Eungella National Park
- 5 Heron Island - in the Southern Reef Islands
- 6 Lady Elliot Island - a coral cay with a diversity of bird and marine life, and resort facilities, in the Southern Reef Islands
- 7 Fraser Island - the world's largest sand island
- 8 Carnarvon National Park
Central Queensland is served with flights from most major centres in Australia through its coastal airports. Cairns and Gold Coast airports also serve some international destinations.
A drive from top to bottom of this region will take 13 hours from Townsville to Rainbow Beach. There isn't much of a passenger train network, and without a car you be reliant on buses and planes.
- Amazing pies at Joccheim's Bakery in Bowen, in the footsteps of Australia actors Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman.
- Watch out for snakes when venturing into Central Queensland's pristine nature.
To the North:
To the South:
- The cities of Sunshine Coast, Brisbane and Gold Coast
- Amazing views and ancient bunya pines at Bunya Mountains National Park.