The sight of the up to 4-metre high limestone columns is reminiscent of tombstones from a cemetery. Hundreds of such rocky peaks protrude from the yellow sand and are the result of deposits of limestone and quartz sand that have settled in dead root canals. They were then exposed by the corrosion of the wind. In addition, there are up to 50 metres high white sand dunes in the wider area of the park. A great contrast. The best time for photography is late afternoon as the setting sun will warm the light.
Flora and fauna Edit
Get in Edit
From Perth, Nambung National Park can be reached via the Indian Ocean Drive/State Route 60. The driving time is approximately 1.5-2.5 hours.
Alternatively, 4WD vehicles can take the last 50km from Lancelin through the white sand dunes of the Wanagarren Nature Reserve , which of course increases the driving time. Before doing this, however, find out about the route conditions, since this route will be closed in certain weather conditions.
Fees and permits Edit
The fees are $12 per vehicle as of January 2015.
Get around Edit
- 1 Pinnacles Desert Discovery Centre, Pinnacles Dr, Nambung, ☏ . 9:30AM–4:30PM. Includes a gallery and an exhibit with several displays, soundscapes, videos and objects explaining the formations of the Pinnacles Desert. The discovery centre also includes a visitor centre, a gift shop and also sells some snacks and soft drinks.
- 2 Lake Thetis, Hansen Bay Rd, Cervantes. A saline coastal lake which is one of only a few places in the world with living marine stromatolites. The lake's stromatolites exhibit unusual columnar branching and these narrow, closely spaced and almost parallel columns are extremely rare in modern stromatolites.
- 3 Pinnacles Desert Lookout. It's what this park is mostly known for, and a trip to the park is never complete without visiting this lookout. With views of sandstone formations of over 3.5 metres tall, each pinnacle is unique in their own right.
- 4 Kangaroo Point. Just another Indian Ocean beach popular for shore fishing and boating.
- 5 Hangover Bay. A white sandy beach known for its snorkelling and swimming opportunities. Bottlenose dolphins and sea lions are also a common sight in the park.
There is a gift shop at the discovery centre.
Eat and drink Edit
The discovery centre has some small snacks as well as some soft drinks. Apart from that, the nearest are in Cervantes.
There are no lodging sites in the park. The nearest are in Cervantes.