Ciudad Obregón is a city in Sonora, Mexico. Food is a very important culture in the city, which accommodates a wide variety of international and traditional Mexican restaurants and food outlets. There are ample tourist attractions, and as the city is surrounded by scenic mountain views and the warm Sea of Cortez, it is becoming a very popular all-year-round Mexico tourist destination.
Ciudad Obregon is the agricultural capital and the second largest city in the state of Sonora, with a population of around 450,000 people. Less than 100 years old it is a young, modern and vibrant city providing all the services you would expect from a city.
Ciudad Obregon has its own international airport which receives flights from most major Mexican cities and from Tucson, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles USA. If you are travelling from most European destinations, you’re flight will probably involve a transfer from Mexico City Airport to Ciudad Obregon using Aeromexico Connect who provides four daily flights between Mexico City and Ciudad Obregon.
The Federal Highway 15 passes through the centre of Ciudad Obregon and is the main road that runs from the Nogales Mexican border all the way to Mexico City. The highway provides a 4-lane traffic system, which is very well paved. Between various towns and cities on your journey to Ciudad Obregon, you will find several toll roads. The toll roads provide the safest way to travel by road vehicle and present the best conditions collect fees that go towards maintaining the road conditions. The toll road fees are very cheap and provide free breakdown and roadside assistance by the Green Angels.
If you are bringing a car in from the United States, or Canada (including rental vehicles) you will need to have insurance through a Mexican company, if you have an accident call these companies immediately, in most cases a representative from the insurance company will be dispatched to the scene of the accident, be prepared to wait for them, though no more than 2 hours.
Ciudad Obregon is about 9 hours drive from Phoenix, Arizona, and 7 hours from Nogales.
There are several bus companies that provide services from within Arizona, USA and several main cities within Mexico. Buses are usually very well equipped and provide one of the safest methods of transport between cities. You will find that most buses have onboard entertainment, air conditioning and toilet facilities. Buses tend to stop for 15 minutes between destinations allowing passengers time to purchase refreshments from the various bus depot kiosks.
The public bus services in Ciudad Obregon are very well organised. The most popular company ‘SUBA’ operate new air-conditioned buses and provide services to most destinations within the city and for less than M$15 (pesos) (one-way); they provide a very comfortable and cost effective solution for getting around.
There are several car rental companies in Ciudad Obregon, including international companies such has Hertz. Car hire prices tend to be similar to what you would expect to pay in America and Europe and usually include insurance. To hire a car is straightforward providing you are 25 or over, have a valid driver’s licence and a credit card
- Yaquis Museum (Museo de los Yaquis), Obregón and Calle Sinaloa 200, Cócorit, ☏ . Daily 09:00-18:00. The Yaquis Museum located in Cocorit (10 minutes from Ciudad Obregon) provides a very interesting and educational day out for people of all ages where they can learn everything the famous Yaqui Indian tribe. Adults M$10, children M$5.
- Casa Rosalva, Chicuana No.147 North Entry, Allende e Hidalgo, ☏ , . Daily 09:00-18:00. a permanent forum for artistic expression and a cultural space where you have the opportunity to view many national and international contemporary, graphical and sculptural art forms free.
- Centre for Popular Cultures, Blvd Rodolfo Elias, Calle 200 and Colima, Colonio Centro, ☏ . M-F 08:00-19:00. aims to rescue, promote and spread the cultural values of all the ethnic groups and popular cultures belonging to southern Sonora. Here you can view local cultural exhibitions free.
- Dr. Oscar Russo Vogel Theater, Calle 5 de Febrero y Rodolfo Elías Calles, Centro, ☏ , , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The modern cultural space provides excellent facilities and services for various theatrical works, musical concerts and business conventions in the city, and many important events are held here every year
- Presa Oviachic - General Alvaro Obregon. Obregon's most visited outdoor area where tourists and visitors enjoy camping, fishing, water sports. There is also a children's recreational park popular amongst families and visitors. To get there you follow the International Highway 15 north of Obregon for 10 km then turn right at ”Carretera a Rosario-Esperanza”. Follow the road for 15 km, then take a right turn at a junction named “Carretera a Hornos-Buenavista”. Then follow the road for 11 km following the signs for Presa Oviachic
- Yaquis de Oregon baseball. the most popular followed sport in Ciudad Obregon. The stadium located in the centre of the city regularly entertains crowds of up to 12,000 people
- Fishing. Fishing enthusiasts from as far as Europe and Australia come to fish the Oviachic water, which hosts an international annual largemouth bass tournament
- Golf. A privately owned professional 18-hole, 72-par golf course is host to international competitions. It is located 5 minutes from the north entrance to Ciudad Obregon on the Federal Highway 15
- Hunting. Ciudad Obregon is home to an area land spanning several thousands of acres reserved specifically for hunting. Hundreds of hunting enthusiasts flock to Obregon from all corners of the globe each year for deer, duck and game
- Laguna Del Nainari. Day and night, Laguna Del Nainari is a very popular hotspot for tourists and local residents. Have a picnic on the bank of the lake, feed the many turtles, relax in the sun or go for a swim in our local outdoor swimming pool
- Parque Ostimuri. W-Su 09:00-20:00. An adventure theme park built for entertaining the family which houses a several species of animals in its accompanying zoo
- Cajeme Planetarium. W-F 09:00-13:00, 16:00-19:00; Sa Su 11:00-18:00; Tu 09:00-12:00. view a live projection of the night’s sky, get close up and learn about the mystical lights that brighten the heavens Adults M$20, children and students with ID cards M$10.
- Parks and plazas. Relax, read a book or take a stroll in one of the parks or plazas. Obregon has many popular open spaces for families and visitors to take advantage of
- City monuments. Although Ciudad Obregon is a relatively young city, it is packed with lots of interesting history. There are more than 10 important and visually interesting monuments
- The Álvaro Obregón Dam (also known as the Oviáchic dam) is 24 km from the city by road to the north. It is popular for fishing and has family recreation such as water parks, spas, streams. Also Dique 10, a dam where water sports, mountain biking and extreme sports are practiced and enjoyed, a viewpoint with a wide view of the dam and the Yaqui River valley.
The best thing is to eat beef in all its varieties: tacos, cuts, machaca, jerky and in burritos. The quintessential sweet snacks are coyotas. It also has excellent seafood which you can enjoy in the Paredón, which is an estuary. And the other option is to eat bass and its derivatives in the Oviachic Dam, in addition to having an excellent view of the desert and the dam.
- La Patrona, Miguel Aleman 111 Norte, ☏ .
- Mercado municipal, Av. No Reeleccion, Centro, Cajeme. Many stalls selling traditional Mexican food
- Fiesta Inn, Av. Miguel Alemán #755 norte, Esq. Cajeme Zona Norte, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Located near the city's financial district, close to the main thoroughfare into Ciudad Obregón, 20 minutes from the airport and 5 minutes from the center. 100% smoke-free hotel. Restaurant, a lobby bar (open 13:00-23:00), and fitness center. from US$81/night.
- City Express, Av. Lic. Miguel Aleman Norte No. 901, ☏ . Restaurant, fitness center, free breakfast, business center, wheelchair access, free parking from US$53/night.
- Hotel Kuraica, Calle 5 De Febrero Sur #211, Centro, ☏ . Simple décor, air conditioning, cable TV, private bathroom with a shower and toilet. Free coffee in the morning. There is a municipal market offering traditional Mexican cuisine and fresh produce 250 m away. from US$30.
|Routes through Ciudad Obregón|
|Hermosillo ← Guaymas ←||N S||→ Navojoa → Los Mochis|