Clackline, previously called Clackline Junction, was historically significant as the site of an important railway junction, between the Eastern Railway line (Perth to Northam), and the Clackline-Miling branch line (to Toodyay and beyond). The railway lines were removed from the vicinity and rerouted in the 1960s, but the town survived. In 2011, it had a population of around 330 people. It has various historic sites and other attractions. Although Clackline is unlikely to be a destination in its own right for most travellers, it is a nice stopping point on the journey between Perth and Northam, or as part of a less direct trip between Perth and Toodyay.
Clackline is on Great Eastern Highway, and most easily accessible by car – 80 km (50 mi) east of Perth, and 17 km (11 mi) west of Northam. To reach it from Toodyay, travel south on Toodyay Road, then turn onto Toodyay–Clackline road and follow it through to Clackline.
Clackline is also a stopping point on the Kep Track (Mundaring Weir, Perth to Northam), which is suitable for bicycles.
The attractions near the townsite are easily accessible on foot or by bicycle. Others are a short car ride away.
- 1 Avro Anson Memorial, Arvo Anson Road, Mokine (6km south east of Clackline, via Sepencers Brook Road, Gooch Rd, Tighe Rd, Leeder Rd). Commemorates four Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) airmen killed when their Avro Anson aircraft crashed near Clackline in 1942 – Flying Officer Lynton Birt, Sergeant Geoffrey Debenham, Sergeant Noel Nixon, and Sergeant Kenneth Hugo. Annual memorial services are held at the site, on the nearest weekend to 9 October (the anniversary of the accident).
- 2 Clackline Bridge, Lockyer Road (parallel to Great Eastern Highway). A historic road bridge in Clackline that carried the Great Eastern Highway until 2008. It is the only bridge in Western Australia to have spanned both a waterway and railway, the Clackline Brook and the former Eastern Railway alignment. The mainly timber bridge, constructed 1934, has a unique curved and sloped design, due to the difficult topography and the route of the former railway. The Kep Track passes under the bridge.
- Clackline Refractory, Refractory Road. Clackline Refractory is an abandoned, heritage listed brickworks site in Clackline, in a valley near Great Eastern Highway, west of the Clackline townsite. An abundant supply of fine quality clay was discovered in Clackline 1898, and by 1901, the industry was important to Western Australia, with the brick products from Clackline used by multiple government departments, various companies, and many goldmines.
- 3 Lion monument, Corner of Lockyer Road and Spencers Brook Road. In 1929, Clackline School's students and headteacher, E.W.Membery commemorated the 100th anniversary of British colonisation by building a monument on the school grounds. The monument features a sculpture of a lion, and is the only remaining evidence of Clackline School. It is on the Kep Track, adjacent to a picnic area and public toilets.
- 4 Rail museum, Corner of Lockyer Road and Kimberley Road (p). A restored rail carriage, serving as a museum, is on Kimberley Road opposite the general store. The railway carriage is a venue for community events, such as farmers markets and weddings. A walking trail passing under the nearby Great eastern highway, connecting to the remains of the Clackline railway station.
- 1 WASP Paintball, Spencers Brook Road (drive for 6 km along Spencers Brook Rd, turn right at WASP sign, then right and left onto dirt track, and through farm gates to the car park and old shearing shed), ☏ , . 10AM to 3PM. Play paintball across 100 acres of varying terrain. Bookings required (at least two weeks prior), and group size of at least 15 people. $35 to $145 per person.
- 1 Clackline General Store and Post Office (ifit's kitchen), corner of Lockyer Road and Kimberley Road (5 km past Bakers Hill, third turning on the right, 20 m off the highway), ☏ , ✉ Jane_clacklinestore@dodo.com.au. M W 7AM-6PM, Tu 7AM-5PM, Th 7AM-7PM, F 7AM-8PM, Sa 8AM-8PM, Su 8AM-1PM. Small store, but the only shop in town. Has the usual general store items:hot food, fresh coffee, cold drinks, ice creams, a full takeaway menu and newspapers. The shop was built in 1895, and has a warm welcoming feeling with the lovely smells of home cooked food! You can sit and have a cappuccino whilst looking over the historical train carriage just opposite