Colac is a town on the Princes Highway in the Great Ocean Road region of Victoria.
The Princes Highway goes directly through the centre of this pretty Victorian country town. Shops line the strip, and there is a pretty central part with shade and fountains. The lake and botanical gardens are a short walk or drive from the centre of town.
Colac is the major town of the diverse Otways region, which has landscapes to appeal to everyone. With spectacular natural scenery, mighty timbers and magnificent waterfalls, the lush green hills roll down to long stretches of sandy beaches of the Great Ocean Road. There's also the volcanic lakes, craters and wetlands of the Hinterland.
The region encompasses smaller villages including Gellibrand, Forrest, Birregurra, Cressy, Beeac, Beech Forest and Lavers Hill. There are also the seaside hamlets of Wye and Kennett River, Cape Otway, Johanna Beach and the relaxed beach resort of Apollo Bay.
The Colac Visitor Information Centre can assist with all enquiries regarding this unique and diverse region.
Trains between Melbourne and Warrnambool stop at Colac. There are around 3 services a day. There are bus connections to the coastal towns of Lorne and Apollo Bay on the Great Ocean Road.
- 1 Colac railway station, Gellibrand St.
- Lake Colac. Lake Colac is a pretty view, shallow and reflective. It is the largest freshwater lake in Victoria. It is a good spot for birdwatching in the wetlands. The lake is suffering the effects of a long drought in the region.
- Colac & District Family History Group, History Centre, COPACC, opposite Colac Railway Station, 99 Gellibrand Street, email@example.com. See web site.
- Colac & District Historical Society, History Centre, COPACC, Opposite Colac Railway Station, 99 Gellibrand Street.
- The Farmer's Son, 136 Murray St, ☏ +61 3 5231 6665.
There is a campground by the lake, and motels on the roads into town.
- Baronga Motor Inn in Colac, 35-39 Murray St East, ☏ +61 3 5231 2100, toll-free: 1800 012 100. Close to town centre, but about a 1½-hour drive from the coastline. All ground floor units, queen beds, 2-bedroom family suites, executive suites with double spa, disabled units, air conditioning, remote TV. Licensed restaurant room service, breakfast. Pool, BBQ, playground. Fax and photocopying. 4 rooms at 4-star.
|Routes through Colac|
|Warrnambool ← Camperdown ←||W E||→ Winchelsea → Melbourne|
|Warrnambool ← Camperdown ←||W E||→ Geelong → Melbourne|