The town is on the southern shore of Conception Bay on the Avalon Peninsula. The town is part of the St. John's Metropolitan Area and most residents are employed in the nearby cities of St. John's or Mount Pearl.
Conception Bay provided ample fishing grounds for some time in its history. Lobster trapping is also a common sight.
Conception Bay South was formed in 1973 through the amalgamation of nine communities (Topsail, Chamberlains, Manuels, Long Pond, Foxtrap, Kelligrews, Upper Gullies, Lawrence Pond and Seal Cove) all of which follow the coastline of Conception Bay.
The early residents, mainly English but some Irish, were attracted by good growing land, abundant supplies of firewood and the more temperate climate as compared to other parts of the Avalon Peninsula. Good communication with St. John's was established by road in the 1830s and strengthened in the 1880s with the arrival of the railway. Residents of Conception Bay South grew crops and raised cattle for the St. John's market and St. John's residents established summer homes in Conception Bay South.
It is a 27 km drive from the St. John's city centre to CBS with easy access provided by the twinned Pitt's Memorial Drive highway which connects CBS to downtown St. John's.
There is taxi service from nearby St. John's, Mount Pearl and Paradise, but there is no public transit.
The town is 30 km from St. John's International Airport which receives flights from Canada, the United States, the Caribbean and Europe. The town's harbour is in the Long Pond area and hosts many cruise ships over the summer months.
- CBS Taxi Ltd, ☏ .
- 1 Topsail Beach. One of the nicest sunsets in the metro St. John's area can be viewed from this cozy suburban beach.
- 2 Manuel's River Hibernia Interpretation Centre, 7 Conception Bay Hwy, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Exhibits & gift store: daily 9:30AM-5PM, café 9AM-5PM. Interpretation centre, walking trails, trilobites in the shaple. A portion of the trails are wheelchair- and stroller-accessible. French interpretation services by request — call ahead. The Manuels River Hibernia Interpretation Centre has an elevator. Admission to exhibits: adults $7; students, seniors and youth $5; family (two Adults and up to three children) $22; children under 4 free.
- Fishermen's Museum and Porter House, Hibb's Cove, Port de Grave, ☏ . Late Jun to early Sep: daily 11 AM-7PM; off-season visits by appointment. The Porter House is furnished much as it was when it was built and is a typical fisherman's home of that period. Artifacts include fishing equipment, tools, kitchen utensils, and models of various types of boats used in the inshore fishery. Special events at the museum include slide presentations of old scenes of Port-de-Grave, demonstrations of carding and spinning wool, matting and net-making. Giftshop. Wheelchair accessible (museum only). Adults $2.00, children under 12 $0.50.
- 1 Royal Newfoundland Yacht Club, 108 Greenslades Rd, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Learn to sail or dock your boat.
- Manuels River Linear Park. The trilobite fossil beds found in the park are similar to those found in southern Spain and Portugal and northern Africa, but different from those found in western Newfoundland. This was a key in establishing the theory of plate tectonics, or continental drift.
- The Kelligrews Soiree. early July. There are several full days of activities and events for the entire family, including the Kelligrews Soiree folk festival and garden party.
- The Admirals' Coast scenic route. It follows Route 60 along the western and southern shore of Conception Bay between Marysvale to Paradise, and provides excellent views over the bay.
- Ocean Quest Adventures, 17 Stanley's Road, ☏ . Private boat charters, diving, kayaking, culinary tours, culture, history and adventure.
Shopping is limited to a Sobey's grocery store, a dollar store, some pharmacies, and a few other shops. Most are along Conception Bay Highway.
- 1 Berg's Famous Ice Cream, ☏ . 11AM-11PM daily.
- Vio's Bistro, 705 Conception Bay Hwy, Kelligrews (beside the North Atlantic gas station), ☏ . W Su noon-8PM, Th-Sa noon-9PM. Pastas, steak, seafood, schnitzel, burgers, fish and chips.
- Dragon 88, 187 Conception Bay Hwy, ☏ . Tu-Th 11:30AM-10PM, F Sa 11:30-11PM, Su M 3-10PM. Chinese food, fish and chips.
- Seaside Restaurant, 2546 Topsail Rd, ☏ . W-Sa 11:30AM–10PM, Su 3-9PM, M Tu 11:30AM–9PM. Fish and chips, chicken and fries, wings and fries, burger and fries.
- Berg's Famous Ice Cream, 29-57 Conception Bay Hwy, ☏ . Apr-Oct: daily noon-10PM. Ice cream shop that does not sell fish and chips.
- Shenanigans Irish Pub and Hooligans Sports Bar, 538 Conception Bay Hwy, ☏ . Live music, pub food, sports. Hooligans from noon daily. Shenanigans Tu-Th 3-10PM, F Sa 3PM-midnight.
- Sunset Motel, 936 Conception Bay Hwy, ☏ . Continental breakfast included. Family, group & senior rates (ID required for senior rates). On-site lounge. From $87.
|Routes through Conception Bay South|
|END ←||W E||→ Mount Pearl → St. John's|