Cornwall is on the St. Lawrence Seaway, opposite Massena and Rooseveltown, New York. The 1958 seaway eliminated rapids upstream at Long Sault, opening a path for large ocean-going vessels from the Great Lakes at the expense of inundating and destroying several small villages (such as Aultsville and Moulinette). Some historic buildings which were displaced from the Lost Villages are now at Morrisburg (Upper Canada Village) or Long Sault (Ault Park); islands along what is now the Long Sault Parkway were once part of the Canadian mainland. Long Sault and Ingleside are planned communities to house displaced villagers.
Cornwall-Massena is the home of a large hydroelectric generating station (with visitor's centre) and large ships may be viewed transiting the Seaway locks. Much of the city's industrial base is now gone, as is the pollution associated with Cornwall-Massena in the 1970s.
Cornwall is on Highway 401 (exit 789), about one hour west of Montreal and two hours east of Kingston. As Ontario's easternmost city, Cornwall appears as a control city on highway signage for over a 160 km (100 miles) from Kingston (exit 611) eastward.
From Montréal, Autoroute 20 west becomes Ontario 401.
- 1 Cornwall train station, 1650 Station Rd (From Highway 401 exit McConnell, south on McConnell, west on Tollgate to Pitt St., south on Pitt, east on Balmoral, north on Station Rd.), toll-free: . VIA Rail serves Cornwall from Montreal and Toronto. This is an unstaffed station - 48-hours notice (call the tollfree number) is required for wheelchair lift access.
- 2 megabus Cornwall bus stop, 3250 Brookdale Ave (immediately north of Highway 401). Megabus (Coach Canada) serves Cornwall from Montreal and Toronto. The Cornwall intercity bus stop is located at the Irving 24 Service Center on Brookdale Ave.
- 417 Bus Line. Commuter bus service from Ottawa. This service is suspended as of Feb 2021.
The closest major airport is Montréal-Trudeau YUL IATA, from which direct onward connections are available by rail from the Dorval commuter train station. Ottawa also has a major airport, but Ottawa-Cartier (YOW IATA) is no closer than Montréal and lacks Dorval's relatively easy air-to-rail connection.
- 3 Cornwall Regional Airport (YCC IATA), 19403 Airport Road, 19403 Airport Road, ☏ , email@example.com. Cornwall Regional Airport does not have scheduled service - it can only handle general aviation with a maximum of 15 passengers. However, it is an airport of entry and is staffed by the Canada Border Services Agency on a call-out basis.
Cruising on small craft is an option on the St. Lawrence Seaway, but there is a minimum length at the locks (about 20 ft, which excludes some small boats which can be carried by auto trailers) and the huge "Seaway Max" ships are given priority - one of these leviathans fills an entire Seaway lock with only inches to spare.
As the Seaway is fresh water and the Cornwall-Massena border is 45°N (halfway to the North Pole), shipping through the locks is inherently seasonal, typically ending in December and re-opening near the end of March.
- Long Sault Marina, Hwy 2, Long Sault (on shore of Rob's Bay), ☏ . May-November: 8AM-7PM. Marina and boat launch, restaurant and patio with seafood, Montréal smoked meat.
- Whispering Meadows, 16061 County Rd 36, Long Sault, ☏ . Horse riding lessons ($25-40), boarding, horses for sale.
- Cornwall Transit (TheBus), 863 Second Street West, ☏ . Local city bus on a half-dozen routes.
- Choice Taxi, ☏ .
- Tip Top/Veterans Taxi, ☏ , .
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024 starts at 3:25PM local time and lasts two minutes. The chances of a clear sky are 35%. The track of totality is northeast from Mexico and Texas to Ohio, straddling the Canada–New England border through Lakes Erie and Ontario, then across Maine, New Brunswick and Newfoundland.
- 1 Historic Cornwall Jail, 11 Water St. W, ☏ , toll-free: . A working jail from 1833-2002, now a prison museum. Tours (maximum 15 people) every hour on the hour. "Escape Room" events are available for groups. $10, seniors/students $8, children 5-11 $5.
- 2 Inverarden House, 3332 Montreal Rd. Closed to the public. Former museum (closed since 2000). Parks Canada owns this national historic site, the Regency architecture retirement home of John McDonald of the North West Company, but has not reopened it to the public.
- 3 Lost Villages Museum, Ault Park, 16361 Fran Laflamme Dr, Long Sault. June-September 10AM-5PM. Ten restored and relocated heritage buildings from The Lost Villages and surrounding townships, including former Moulinette rail station. By donation.
- 4 Cornwall Community Museum & Archives (United Counties Museum), Wood House, 160 Water St. W, ☏ . Local history museum in relocated 1840s house, archives, classroom and exhibit space. Free, year-round.
- 5 Saunders Hydro Dam Visitor Centre, 2500B Second Street West, ☏ . Has exhibits on both the history of the area and the hydroelectric generation process. Free.
- Cornwall & Seaway Valley Recreational Path. A 75-km path mostly follows the St. Lawrence River through Cornwall and nearby communities. There are a number of small museums, historic sites and picnic areas along the trail.
- 1 Cornwall Motor Speedway, 16981 Cornwall Centre Rd, Long Sault, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Quarter-mile dirt racetrack.
- Native North American Travelling College, 1 Ronathahon:ni Lane, Akwesasne Territory, Cornwall, ☏ . Mohawk and Native American cultural centre.
- 1 Eight Zero Zero, 903 Brookdale Ave, ☏ . Steakhouse, fish, pasta, cocktail bar, fine dining.
- 2 Spinners Diner, 619 Pitt St, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 3 The Loose Caboose, 35 Marlborough St. N, ☏ . Fast food, hot dogs, burgers.
- 4 Philos Greek Cuisine and Pizzeria, 1613 Pitt St, ☏ .
- 5 Schnitzels, 158 Pitt St, ☏ . M-W 11:30AM-9PM (pub 11PM), Th-Sa 11:30AM-10PM (pub 1AM), Su closed. European restaurant, café and pub.
- 6 Truffles Burger Bar, 155 Pitt St, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Bistro, commonly-owned with Table 21 steak house and oyster bar.
Ontario's drinking age, at 19, is high by Montréal standards (Québec is 18) but almost looks reasonable next to Massena (USA is 21).
- 1 Best Western Parkway Inn & Conference Centre, 1515 Vincent Massey Dr, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: Noon. Chain hotel. Has an electric vehicle charging station.
- 2 Ramada by Wyndham Cornwall, 805 Brookdale Ave, ☏ , toll-free: , email@example.com.
- 3 Super 8 by Wyndham Cornwall, 2694 Brookdale Ave. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 4 Comfort Inn, 1625 Vincent Massey Drive, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Chain hotel. 100% Smoke Free, no more than 2 pets per room (at extra charge).
- 5 Monte Carlo Motel, 1700 Montreal Rd, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Riverside motel with kitchenettes, boat docking, fishing, golf.
Bed and breakfastEdit
- 6 Auberge Chesley's Inn, 40 First St. W, ☏ , toll-free: , email@example.com. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Ontario's oldest operating inn (1814), three rooms, B&B. from $150.
- 1 Bibliothèque Cornwall Public Library, 45 Second St. E, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Bilingual (English/French) public library with free Internet access.
Open Wi-Fi is also available at ONroute Highway 401 rest stops - the closest are at Bainsville (at the provincial border) and at Morrisburg - and McDonald's (hamburger stand with two Cornwall locations).
- 6 Glengarry Pioneer Museum, 1645 County Road 30, RR #1 Dunvegan, ☏ , email@example.com. A regional history museum.
- 7 Martintown Grist Mill, Dundas Street (CR 18 & 20), Martintown. Four-storey 1846 stone mill building on the banks of the Raisin River; farmers' market on summer Sundays.
- Raisin River Heritage Centre, County Road 18, St. Andrews, ☏ . Jul-Aug: Su 1PM-3PM. Cornwall Township Historical Society museum in former 1906 convent.
- Morrisburg is home to Upper Canada Village, a pioneer village living museum which preserves various historic buildings displaced by Seaway flooding in the 1950s, and a park commemorating the Battle of Cryslers Farm in the War of 1812.
|Routes through Cornwall|
|Kingston ← Brockville ←||W E||→ Dorval → Montreal|
|Kingston ← Morrisburg ←||W E||→ Becomes → Salaberry-de-Valleyfield → Montreal|