Crosshaven is a village in County Cork, at the point where the River Owenabue flows into Cork Harbour. It grew up from the 18th century when the harbour was fortified, becoming a garrison town for Fort Camden (which remained in British hands until 1938). Tourism developed when the railway arrived in 1904, and it also became a commuter town for Cork. However it was outgrown by Carrigaline 8 km west upriver, which is industrial but has accommodation and other facilities described on this page. In 1966 the Royal Cork Yacht Club, based in Cobh since 1720, relocated to Crosshaven and brought the Cork Week Regatta with it.
Crosshaven, which in 2016 had a population of 2577, in Irish is Bun an Tabhairne, thought to mean "mouth of the river Sabhrann".
Bus Éireann 220X runs M-Sa hourly from Ovens and Ballincollig via UCC campus and Cork city centre to Carrigaline and Crosshaven, taking just under an hour from the city. The most central city stop is Grand Parade, a block south of Parnell St bus station, which the bus doesn't enter. On Sunday take the slower 220 which runs every 30 min.
By road from Cork follow R612 past Carrigaline, 19 km. The railway closed in 1932 and there are no plans to reinstate it.
1 Cork Ferry Terminal is at Ringaskiddy a few km north. In summer there are ferries from Roscoff and Santander.
Bus 220 continues west from the village as far as Camden Fort Meagher. You need a car to enjoy the further beaches.
- 1 Holy Trinity Church, Church Rd. Anglican church designed by William Burges, the architect of St Fin Barre's in Cork, and completed in 1868. It replaced the dilapidated St Matthew's.
- St Brigid's, the RC church 200 m north of Holy Trinity, was designed by Pugin.
- 2 Camden Fort Meagher, Camden Rd, ☏ . Closed until April 2021. Artillery position defending Cork harbour, established in 1550. It was reinforced against the French threat from 1780 and the present sturdy fort was raised in the 1860s. It remained in military use until 1980 then fell derelict, before being restored. Free parking, assistance dogs only. Adult €6, child €4.
- 3 St Matthew's Church in Templebreedy dates from the 14th century, but was already falling into ruin when replaced by Holy Trinity in 1868. The graveyard continued in use for another century.
- 4 Fort Templebreedy was a coastal defence complex, mostly abandoned by the 1970s and dismantled. The Council have sought to redevelop the area as with Camden Fort but as of 2020 the Dept of Defence are fighting a rearguard action, and have blocked public access.
- Piper's Funfair (aka "The Merries") at 2 Point Rd is a timewarp kiddy-funfair: dodgems, roundabouts, nothing white-knuckle. It's open daily 14:30-21:00.
- La Scala in The Square is a games arcade.
- Golf: there isn't a full-scale course nearby, but there'a Pitt and Putt by Crosshaven House, open daily. The military have blocked access to the course by Fort Templebreedy.
- Beaches lie west of the village.
- - 1 Graball offers quiet, safe bathing in an atmosphere of faded grandeur.
- - 2 Church Bay was primly divided in Victorian and Edwardian times into "The Men's Pool" and "Ladies Bay".
- - 3 Fennel's Bay is further away and usually the quietest.
- - 4 Myrtleville is a popular spot in summer for its clear sands.
- - 5 Fountainstown is another sandy beach that can get crowded in summer.
- - upriver, west towards Carrigaline, R612 is flanked by a footpath and cycleway. This leads past the sheltered reach of river called "Drake's Pool", as Sir Francis Drake's ships supposedly hid there from a Spanish fleet in 1589. They did no such thing: Drake spent 1589 getting the English navy sunk in a disastrous expedition to Corunna.
- - downriver, east to Fort Camden, where you view of harbour and fort from a grassy hillock. You can continue south along the rocky coast to Graball, Church Bay and Fennel's Bay, but the last section is a scramble and only uncovered at low tide. You can't continue along the coast inland as Fort Templebreedy is fenced off.
- - however you can circle inland from Church Bay up a steep hill to the ruin of St Matthew's, and from there to Fennel's Bay and the hamlet of Myrtleville.
- Cork Week is a sailing regatta held in July in even years, hosted by the Royal Cork Yacht Club. The 2020 event was cancelled so the next is 11-15 July 2022.
- Centra on Point Rd is open daily 07:30-22:00.
- Farmers' Market is held in The Square on Saturday 10:00-14:00.
- Carrigaline is the main place for shopping. Lidl on Strand Rd is open M-Sa 08:00-22:00, Su 09:00-21:00.
- Rivers End, Point Rd, ☏ . Daily 09:00-17:00. Cafe with coffee, cake and light bites, nice outdoor seating area.
- The Anchor, 4 Middle Rd P43 FY94, ☏ . Daily 17:00-21:00. Good central place for bar food.
- 1 The Lodge, Myrtleville P43 E019, ☏ . W-Sa 17:00-21:00, Su 16:00-20:00. Bar and grill looking over the bay, with TV sport and live music.
- Cronin's, The Square, ☏ . Th 10:00-14:00, 17:00-22:00, F-Su 12:30-23:00. Trad pub also has good seafood.
- The Oar, Admiral Drake and Buckley's are pubs on the coast road west side of town centre.
- Whispering Pines is a B&B on Carrigaline Rd 1 km west of town. It didn't open in 2020.
- 1 Crosshaven House is a grand Georgian pile with five suites. It's available for exclusive hire eg wedding parties, and as of 2020 doesn't operate as a hotel.
- 51 Degrees North nearby is a self-catering lodge owned by Crosshaven House.
- 2 Carrigaline Court Hotel, Main St, Carrigaline, ☏ . Boxy modern mid-range hotel, comfy enough, with leisure centre and pool. B&B double €110.
As of Nov 2020, the town has 4G from Eir and Three, but no signal from Vodafone. 5G has not yet reached this area.
- Most routes involve going through Cork, which needs a few days to explore.
- You can shortcut to Cobh by the Passage West Ferry, then continue east to Youghal.
- Minor roads west lead to Kinsale and the coastline becomes rugged.