Cuddalore is a town in Cuddalore District in Tamil Nadu. Cuddalore is a beautiful town located along Bay of Bengal which is home to the famous Silver Beach.
Cuddalore is also known as Thiruppadhirippuliyur or Tiruppappuliyur colloquially. It is located 190 km south of Chennai and is well-connected by road, via ECR [East Coast Road], 3hrs 30 mins, or by Pass [Via Tindivanam, Puducherry], 4hrs 30mins.
You can also reach Cuddalore by Train thru various part of the cities like Chennai, Madurai, Trichy etc., From Chennai it will take around 3.30 hrs to reach Cuddalore.
You can reach Cuddalore from Chennai by State buses or private transport. Takes about 4 hours via the ECR route. It will be time consuming if you take an bus through bypass.
- Boat house
- Hayagrivar Sannadhi - located in small hillock nearby, this temple is well-known.
- Paadaleswarar Temple (Periya Koil), Thirupapuliyur.
- Silver Beach - 2nd largest beach in Asia.
- Sipcot - Industrial area.
- Sri Devanathan - Five kilometres from the main bus stand is the town Thiruvahindrapuram where this famous Vaishnavite temple is located.
- Sri Paataleeswarar Temple - Sri Paataleeswarar is the presiding Deity with Brahannayaki Amman. This is an ancient and beautiful Shiva temple.
- Thiruvanthipuram Temple - Next famous to Tirupathi temple. Thiruvahindrapuram is one of the famous 108 Vaishnavite temples in India. There is also a temple for Veera Anjaneyar very close to the bus stand.
- Visit these temples and you can also go to the beautiful and serene beach at Thevanampattinam, 4 km away. Near Cuddalore Old Town you can also find a minor port. There is a fishing harbour in Old Town.
- Don't miss the "Paadaleswarar Temple", "Devanadha Swamy Temple" and "Sri Veera Anjaneya Swami" Temple - near to Bus stand and railway station - Thirupapuliyur. Also You can visit the " Sri Pidari Amman Temple" adjacent to the Brahannayaki Temple - Both these 2 temples are very close to the bus stand / Railway Station.
- The beautiful Manavala Mamunigal sannidhi is located in Thiruvaheendrapuram.
You can buy good variety of Clay dolls for Navarathri from nearby place Vandipalayam (about 2 km). Also, there is a town called Panruti, 21 km from here, which is famous for its Palaa Pazham (Jack fruit), Cashew nuts, and ground nuts. On the way from Cuddalore to Panruti you can find a place called Thiruvathigai where a famous Shiva temple is located. There is a famous farm in Palur near Panruti where you can get all kinds of plants. Agriculture research is also being carried out in Palur farm. Panruti dolls are also famous. This town is easily accessible by frequent local buses.
A good number of hotels and lodges are here. South Indian and North Indian food are available in these hotels.
There are good number of hotels available near Cuddalore Bus Stand and the Railway station. Cuddalore is one of the places where you can get the authentic South Indian food.
Be warned : All the hotels serve full meals only till 4 PM ! You can not get tiffin like Idli, dosai etc till after 4-30 PM
- Adyar Anandha Bhawan (A2B).
- Anandha Bhavan, Krishnalaya Complex, Krishnalaya Theatre, 06,Imperial Road, Cuddalore - 607002, ☏ . Post Office Stop, Manjakuppam
You can find soo many TASMAC in and around Cuddalore. Puducherry is very near to Cuddalore.
You can find Nice Hotels in the Cuddalore to have sound sleep.
The entire visit may take about 10 - 12 hours and then you can leave for Puducherry, 18 km from here, of the erstwhile French territory; or to Chidambaram another town 50 km away famous for its Nataraja Temple.