Datong Township is located in the southwestern part of Yilan County and includes several villages such as Hanxi, Lunpi, Songluo, Yingshi, Leshui, Mao'an, Siji, and Nanshan. Most of the residents are from the Atayal Tribe (Taiwanese aborigines). There are many sites such as Chingshui Geothermal Field, Taipingshan Scenic Recreation Area and the Atayal Life Museum.
If you are traveling from Taipei to Datong Township, you can do so by train, bus or driving your own car.
You can take the “Eastern Line” railroad toward Hualien and get off at Luodong Train Station. There is a Kuo-Kuang (國光客運) bus stop in front of Luodong Train Station. You can take the Luodong-Taipingshan (羅東-太平山) route to Datong Township.
You can take Capital Bus (首都客運) or Kamalan Bus (噶瑪蘭客運) from Taipei to Luodong.You need to transfer to Kuo-Kuang Bus (國光客運) and take the Luodong-Taipingshan (羅東-太平山) route to Datong Township. The following are some important stops:
- Atayal Life Museum (泰雅生活館)- Dian-Song-Pi Stop (天送埤站) NT$68
- Chingshui Geothermal Field (清水地熱)- Chingshui bridge Stop (清水大橋站) NT$80
- Taipingshan National Forest Recreation Area (太平山森林遊樂區)- Taipingshan Stop (太平山站) NT$201
If you want to travel to Datong Township, driving your own car is strongly recommended. You can drive your own car through Freeway No. 5 and exit at Luodong. When you arrive to Luodong, you need to connect to Provincial Highway No. 7 which will take you to Datong Township. If you come from Taipei, it takes about 2 hr to get there.
There are many scooter rental shops in front of Luodong Train Station. You can ride through Provincial Highway No. 7 to Datong Township.
- 1 Atayal Life Museum (泰雅生活館), ☏ . Tu-Su, 08:00-17:00. Atayal Life Museum of Datong Township is the largest cultural and historical museum displaying the life of the Atayal tribe. The main exhibition is about the knitting technique and the working life of the Atayal people. In the museum, you can try on the traditional Atayal costumes and take pictures. There is also a small souvenir shop inside the Atayal Living Museum.
Many nearby attractions are also mentioned in the Yilan County article.
Parks and natureEdit
- 1 Lanyang River (蘭陽溪). The river flows through Yilan County for 73 km.
- 2 Mingchi National Forest Recreation Area (明池國家森林遊樂區). The forest features an artificial lake surrounded by Chinese-style gardens.
- 3 Taiping Mountain. One of Taiwan's three major forest recreation areas at 1,950m above sea level, Taiping Mountain is one of Taiwan's major ecological treasures.
- 4 Qilan Forest Recreation Area (棲蘭森林遊樂區). The forests consists of Taiwan's largest giant tree cluster. It also contains a villa used by former President Chiang Kai-shek.
- 5 [dead link] Bong Bong Train (蹦蹦車). A reproduction of an older train that was used to transport timber from Taipingshan. The small train now takes tourists to Maosing Station. Spaces on the train are limited. NT$50.
- 1 Maosing Station (茂興蹦蹦車站).
- 6 Jiuzhize Hot Springs (鳩之澤溫泉). An open-air hot spring near a popular nature trail.
- 7 [dead link] Jiuzhize Nature Trail (鳩之澤自然步道). A short (1.5 km) trail that begins on the far side of the Jioujhihze Bridge. It offers an introduction to some of the native flora of the area.
- 8 [dead link] Jancing Historic Trail (見晴懷古步道). A short (0.9 km) hiking trail that runs beside an old timber mining train track.
- 9 [dead link] Cueifong Lake Circular Trail (翠峰湖環山步道). A 4 km trail that follows the old logging trails around Cueifong Lake.
- 10 [dead link] Maosing Reminiscent Trail (茂興懷舊步道). A short (1 km) trail that winds around the area surroundiing Maosing Station (at the end of the Bong Bong train) that features a number of lookout platforms to let you take in the mountain views.
- 11 Cypress Forest Trail (太平山原始林步道). A short (0.6 km) trail that winds among large cyprus trees.