Davis is a city in the Potomac Highlands region of West Virginia. The area around Davis is noted for the Canaan Valley, Timberline and the region's caverns, Blackwater Falls State Park, the pretty mountain town of Thomas, and the Monongahela National Forest.
Davis is the highest incorporated town in West Virginia at an elevation of 3,200 ft. The Eastern Continental Divide zig-zags across this region along a series of shallow ridges, forming the border between Tucker and Grant Counties.
Davis is not a large town, but don't let the miniscule population of 624 fool you, it has some great restaurants and its location makes it a great base to see some of West Virginia's best sights. If you need the services of a larger town, visit Elkins to the west or Moorefield to the east, each about an hour away.
Davis is located at the intersection of WV 32 and WV 93.
Additionally, Davis is along U.S. 48, a four-lane divided highway built in the early 2010s as Appalachian Corridor H. To the east, the highway connects to I-81 and I-66 near Strasburg, Virginia. The highway becomes a two-lane road for a segment westwards from Davis to Elkins, but it then picks up again and connects to I-79.
- 1 Blackwater Falls State Park (Blackwater Falls Road from Davis), ☏ . The main attraction is the five-story-tall amber-colored waterfall, which is one of the most photographed sites in West Virginia. Lodge with gift shop, indoor pool and on-site restaurant. Camping, hiking, horseback and pony rides, swimming, boating and fishing, cross-country skiing, sledding, and a petting zoo during the summer.
- Canaan Valley. The Canaan Valley is divided into a patchwork of public and private lands.
- 2 Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge, 6263 Appalachian Hwy, ☏ . Takes up much of the central portion of the valley. There are several roads and trailheads in various parts of the refuge.
- 3 Canaan Valley Resort State Park, 230 Main Lodge Rd, ☏ . At the southern end of the valley. Includes a campground, resort, golf course, and ski area.
- 4 Little Canaan Wildlife Management Area. At the northwestern end of the valley. A state-managed area with trails.
- 5 Yellow Creek Natural Area. At the north end of the valley. Another natural area with trails, managed by the West Virginia Land Trust.
- 6 Canaan Mountain Backcountry. Part of Monongahela National Forest, to the southwest of the Canaan Valley.
- 7 Dolly Sods Wilderness. Part of Monongahela National Forest, to the southeast of Canaan Valley. Has several trails in the Red Creek drainage area.
- 8 Thomas Commercial Historic District. A row of historic buildings, including an opera house.
- 9 Thomas City Park Trails.
- 10 Douglas Falls.
- 11 Fairfax Stone Historical Monument State Park, ☏ . The site of the Fairfax Stone, marking the source of the North Branch Potomac River. It determines the western boundary of Maryland, as well as one end of the Fairfax Line leading into Northern Virginia. The park is just a small clearing at the end of a road with the stone and a few picnic tables, but if you're a geek for these sorts of things it's worth a selfie.
- Other sights like Seneca Rocks, Seneca Caverns, Smoke Hole Caverns, and Spruce Knob are within a 1.5 hr drive.
- Davis, being in the mountains, is a great base for skiing. Canaan Valley Resort State Park and Timberline Four Seasons Resort are both nearby containing a combined 76 slopes for all levels of skiers, and White Grass Touring and Blackwater Falls State Park both offer cross country skiing.
- Canaan Valley Resort, ☏ , toll-free: . Route 32 north of Harman. 250 guest rooms. Indoor lap pool, outdoor pool, whirlpool spa, fitness room, sauna, 18-hole championship golf course, mini-golf, tennis courts, hiking, biking, wall climbing, hay rides. On-site gift shop, restaurant (the Aspen Dining Room), food court (the Bear Paw Lodge), lounge (the Laurel Lounge) and snack bar. 37 ski slopes, including a vertical drop of 850 feet, and a chairlift ride.
- [dead link] Timberline Four Seasons Resort, toll-free: . Route 32 N to Canaan Valley. 36 slopes and trails, with a vertical rise of 1,000 feet, for skiiers of all abilities. 3 chairlifts. NASTAR racing. Skiing and snowboarding lessons $45 - $95. Lifts $19 - $54, rentals $12 - $25.
- Collect fossils. Abundant plant fossils can be found at a local road cut.
- [dead link] Mountain Made, 100 Douglas Rd Circle, Thomas, WV 26292, ☏ . A nonprofit store located in the nearby town of Thomas (45 minutes northeast on US-219), offering products made by talented West Virginia artists and craftspeople. Books, cards, stationery, jewellery, clothing, honey, jams and jellies, sauces, knives, home decor, music, instruments, garden and yard supplies, glassware, utensils and pottery.
- 1 Hellbender Burritos, William Avenue, ☏ . Hellbender Burritos is a great place to grab a good burrito for dinner or a few drinks after a long day on the trails. The food is good, the portions are large, and the selection of beer is unique since they sell local selections from Mountain State Brewing on tap. Service is great too.
- 2 Sirianni's Cafe, William Avenue, ☏ . Sirianni's Cafe provides Italian cuisine (apps, pizza, pasta, salad, and hoagies) alongside a pretty good selections of beers and wine by the glass or bottle (bottles ranging from $16 to $23). The pizza is highly recommended by previous patrons from all over. This is another great location for anyone visiting the northern section of the MNF.
- 3 Muttley's Downtown, 438 William Ave. Davis, WV, ☏ . Muttley's Downtown is a steakhouse with salads, sandwiches, and house specialties like curried mango chicken, vegetable lasagna, duckling half, and portabella pasta.
- Sawmill Restaurant, Davis, WV (Rt32, close to Blackwaterfalls park), ☏ . Closed on Mondays. Open Tuesday thru Sunday. Sunday thru Thursday 6AM til 8PM. Friday and Saturday 6AM til 9PM.. Home cooked meals. Breakfast-sausage gravy on biscuits with homefries. Lunch-sawmill steak sandwich on grilled homemade bread. Dinner-WV ham with homefries, brown beans, corn bread and salad bar. Has daily specials $4.50 - $14.95.
- Blackwater Brewing Company, Thomas Avenue and Williams Avenue in Davis, ☏ . 6 ales, stouts and porters. Also serves appetizers, soups and salads, sandwiches, traditional entrees, German and Italian entrees. Live entertainment. $7 - $19.
- Mountain State Brewing Company, 1 Nelson Boulevard, ☏ . In Thomas. 4 ales and stouts. Provides handcrafted ales to Canaan Valley, Elkins, Morgantown, Snowshoe and surrounding areas. On-site pub.
- 1 Bright Morning Inn, 454 William Ave, Davis, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 2 The Alpine Lodge, Davis.
- 3 The Billy Motel, Davis.
- 4 Cooper House Bed and Cocktail, Thomas.
- 5 Mountain Primrose Bed and Breakfast, Thomas.
- 6 Blackwater Falls Lodge, Blackwater Falls.
- 7 Black Bear Resort, Canaan Valley.
- 8 The Inn at Canaan, Canaan Valley.
- 9 Canaan Valley Resort & Conference Center, Canaan Valley.