This article is intended to provide the already qualified Scuba diver with information which will help to plan dives in the waters of the Vietnam, whether as a local resident or a visitor. Information is provided without prejudice, and is not guaranteed accurate or complete. Use it at your own risk.
Vietnam is a country in South-east Asia with a long coastline and a large number of protected bays and islands. Marine life may not be as prolific as the Red Sea or the Great Barrier Reef, but the variety of species and vivid colours will fascinate and thrill divers and snorkellers, beginners and experienced alike. There are many varieties of fish including paperfish, devil scorpionfish, dragonettes, flying gurnard, cowfish, giant moray eels, manta rays, large stingrays. There are also occasional turtles, and a variety of nudibranchs & other reef invertebrates. There are over 400 species of hard coral making it one of the richest hard coral dive regions in the world.
The majority of the dive sites of Hon Mun Island - Marine Park near Nha Trang are within a 1 hour boat ride (or 15 minutes by speedboat) from Nha Trang to the nearby Islands of the marine park.
Dive sites of Hon Mun Marine Park include:
- Bob's House. — 25 metres. Hard & soft corals.
- Debbie's Beach. — 15 metres. Outstanding hard & soft corals.
- Dopey's Ear. — 18 metres. Wall & pinnacles.
- Electric Nose. — 45 metre wall dive. Currents. Advanced only.
- Goat Rock. — Wall dive to 40 metres.
- Hamburger Hill. — 20 metres. Rocky pinnacle with soft corals.
- Hard Rock 1. — Wall & cavern dive to 25 metres.
- Hard Rock 2. — Wall dive to 15 metres. Hard corals.
- Hard Rock 3. — Wall dive to 20 metres. Hard corals.
- Hon Mot East. — 20 metres. Outstanding coral garden.
- Mama Hahn beach. — 18 metres. Hard corals.
- Madonna Rock. — 5–25 metres. Hard corals. Swim thru's.
- Moray beach. — 20 metres. Hard & soft corals. Giant morays.
- Rainbow Reef. — 20 metres. Outstanding hard & soft corals.
- The Range. — Wall dive to 25 metres with caverns.
- Seahorse Bay 1. — 15 metres. 'Muck diving'.
- Seahorse Bay 2. — 18 metres of 'Muck diving'.
- Tiger Wall. — Wall dive to 25 metres.
- Uta bay. — 15 metres. Sandy & rocky.
Back to Scuba diving