Dover is situated on US 79. The only major route through the area.
- 1 Fort Donelson National Battlefield, 120 Fort Donelson Rd., ☏ . The site of an early Civil War battle. Significant in that the capture of Fort Donelson forced the Confederate armies to withdraw from Central Tennessee and set the stage for the Battle of Shiloh two months later. The Battlefield is operated by the U.S. National Park Service and includes a visitor center, museum, national cemetery and 6 miles of trails.
- 2 Cross Creeks National Wildlife Refuge, 643 Wildlife Rd., ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Visitor Center: M-F 7:00AM- 3:30PM, year round. Most refuge land closed Nov.15th-March 15th to protect wildlife. A national wildlife refuge established in 1962 and consisting of 8000+ acres of habitat for migratory birds. Operated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Cross Creeks provides many opportunities for hunting, fishing, wildlife observation, and hiking.
There are no alcohol sales allowed in Dover or Stewart County. The closest places to buy alcohol are Henry county to the west and Montgomery county to the east. To the north, the Kentucky counties of Christian and Trigg allow alcohol sales.
- [dead link] Sunset Motor Inn, 314 Highway 79, ☏ . Just east of Lake Barkley on Hwy 79. Easy to miss the steep entrance. Just turn as soon as you see the sign! Basic, clean, cheap rooms with a great view of Lake Barkley, including the sunset in the name. It's an old-fashioned motor inn with a row of rooms and doors onto the parking lot. Apparently a one-man operation, so you may have to wait for the owner to finish up another chore. No lobby, but each room has a chair out back, through a sliding door, to sit and enjoy the view over the lake. Marginal wi-fi internet access, which the owner says he's trying to improve. Microwave available at front desk. Small fridge in room. Small TV with cable, but no premium channels. A great find if you just want a quiet, cheap place to crash for the night.
- Dover Inn Motel, 1545 Donelson Parkway, ☏ . Motel rooms and cabins.
- Leatherwood Resort and Marina, 753 Leatherwood Bay Rd., ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. Located on the eastern shore of Kentucky Lake, this resort offers cabins, a campground, restaurant, and full service marina.
|Routes through Dover|
|Russellville ← Clarksville ←||N S||→ Paris → Memphis|