The name Dunkirk comes from the Dutch language "Church of the Dunes". The town is a historic resort located on the northern region of France, 10km from the border with Belgium. It's a great place to start your journey further into the Continent, but also a great holiday destination on its own, featuring historic beaches, shopping locations, and many places to eat local food, which is an interesting fusion of traditional Flemish cooking and seafood.
In World War II, the Allied expeditionary force was surrounded in Dunkirk in 1940. 300,0000 soldiers were evacuated from Dunkirk to England in Operation Dynamo. The operation has been depicted in several motion pictures, including Christopher Nolan's 2017 film Dunkirk.
The closest airport in the area is the international 1 Calais–Dunkerque Airport (CQF IATA), which is located to the East, closer to Calais further down the coast. 2 Ostend-Bruges International Airport (OST IATA) is less than 60 km (37 mi) East, across the Belgian border near Oostende, however due to the Schengen Agreement there is no passport control when crossing it.
Beware, the second closest featured on many maps is Merville/Calonne Airport, originally built by the German Luftwaffe, has no commercial airline services scheduled.
You can also get into Dunkirk by ferry using the Dover-Dunkirk service run by DFDS Seaways or by train from Paris or Arras. Be warned, the ferry service does not accept passengers of foot (but does accept cyclists).
- 1 Port Museum (Musée Portuaire), 9 Quai de la Citadelle - 59140 Dunkerque, ☎ . 10:00am-12:30pm; 1:30pm6:00pm. The Port Museum is housed in a former 19th-century tobacco warehouse. Inside the museum one shall find insights into the nautical world of a large port from both historical and contemporary perspectives. 6€.
- 2 Saint-Éloi church, 2 Rue Clemenceau, ☎ .
- Town Hall
- Allies Memorial
- Memorial and Town Cemetery
- Malo-les-Bains beach front
- 3 Operation Dynamo 1940 Museum (Musée Dunkerque 1940 – Opération Dynamo), Rue des Chantiers de France, ☎ . 10AM-6PM.
- 4 LAAC Museum of Contemporary Art (LAAC, Lieu D'art et Action Contemporaine), Avenue des Bordées, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 10am-12:15pm; 2:00pm-6:00pm. This museum is located at the heart of a sculpture garden. It presents an exhibition of art from 1950s to today. 3€.
- Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux-Arts), Place du Général de Gaulle. This museum present a collection of Flemish, Dutch, French, and Italian paintings from the 16th to 19th centuries. The collections also include a collection which includes over 10,000 natural history specimens, numerous decorative crafts and archeological finds.