Durmitor National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site listed national park in Montenegro. The park consist of two connected parts - Tara river valley (or canyon) and Durmitor mountain range, with the tallest mountain, Babatov Kuk, rising 2523 meters above the sea level.
Flora and faunaEdit
Car is definitely the best way to get to Durmitor, as the public transportation is limited in Montenegro. You can use the M-3 (E762) road going from Bosnia and passing though another scenic location, Piva river valley. From Podgorica, use the road M-6 to Žabljak. From Sebia, use the road M-6 in the opposite direction, going though Prijepolje and Pljevlja. This road uses the Tara River Bridge, one of the park highlights.
Fees and permitsEdit
There are no fees to enter the park. Nor permits are needed, you can even enter with you car without any hassle.
OpenStreetMaps have a very good map data of Durmitor national park. Mapy.cz seems to implement this data the best for hiking, because they provide information about height and elevation profiles. Donǃt forget to download Montenegro maps for offline use, as the cell signal may be weak in the mountains.
There are numerous roads in Durmitor national park navigable by car. M-6 and M-3 are two lanes highways in good shape. When going from Žabljak to Plužine, you do not have go all the way south to their crossing, but you can use the road through Sedlo pass, which is paved, but a bit narrow. If you driving outside the main highways, watch for cyclists and sheep.
Durmitor is popular among cyclists , as mark bikepaths are plentiful. The ascents are however very steep or long, so bike might be useful only for experienced bikers.
- 1 Most na Tari (Đurđevića Tara Bridge). 170 metres tall road bridge above Tara river canyon, offering epic views
- 2 Sedlo pass. A mountain pass easily reachable by car or bike, lying at 1900 meters above sea level. The road there is very scenic in both ways, and you can start many hikes from here, with the tallest mountain of Durmitor, Babotov Kuk, being only 4.9 km far by walking. The parking here is marked as paid at OpenStreetMaps, but there is no one to collect any fee.
- Zipline. You can cross Tara river on zipline next to the Tara Bridge. There are three or more companies offering this, just ask around the bridge and haggle the prices (can I get a discount?). The zipline staff speak English.
- There is a market near the Tara bridge, selling some traditional products, such as local honey or Rakija.
There are numerous accommodation options in Durmitor, as this is one of the main Montenegro tourist destinations. Campsites are plentiful, especially around Žabljak, but there are also numerous hotels, often newly build.
- 1 Torba. A useful camp near the pass on M-16 road passing thought the park.
- 2 Kod Boće. A good campsite near Žabljak, on the trail towards Sedlo pass. They do registration here.