East Grinstead is an ancient market town that was the capital of the old High Weald, and lies at the meeting point of the four counties of Kent, East Sussex, West Sussex and Surrey. The carol "Good King Wenceslas" was written at the town's Sackville College.
The main roads into East Grinstead are the A22, which runs from the M25 down to Eastbourne and Brighton (as the A26), and the A264, which runs from Tunbridge Wells through East Grinstead to Crawley and Gatwick Airport.
The centre of East Grinstead is fairly small, and can easily be travelled on foot. As with most other towns in England, the town is well served by buses and taxis.
Metrobus is the main bus company that operates buses in East Grinstead. Timetables and fares are available on Metrobus. Buy your ticket from the driver when you board the bus. There are also buses from Eastbourne Buses (No. 54) http://www.eastbournebuses.co.uk/bustimes.htm and No. 409 from London buses. Tandridge (Surrey) council Buses4You will transport you from Oxted or Surrey villages, to and from East Grinstead (but not during morning & afternoon school bus times).
The main taxi rank is at the train station, although you can order a taxi by telephone to pick you up from anywhere.
- Acorn Cars - +44 1342 410518
- Ivy Dene Cars - +44 1342 835835
- Raceline Cars - +44 1342 317555
- Roadrunners - +44 1342 324444
- Southdown Cars - +44 1342 317400
- 1 Sackville College, ☏ , . Jun-Sep: W-Sa 2-5PM. A beautiful 17th-century sandstone almshouse, where the carol "Good King Wenceslas" was written. Aduls £5, child £1.
- 2 Standen, West Hoathly Road, RH19 4NE, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. House: Mar-Oct W-Su 11AM-4:30PM (last entry at 4PM), and Mondays in July and August. Garden: Mar-Oct W-Su 11AM-5:30PM (last entry at 5PM), and Mondays in July and August; Nov-Dec F-Su 11AM-3PM. The National Trust's flagship Arts and Crafts country house, internationally renowned for its William Morris wallpapers, textiles and contemporary fittings. Also has extensive landscaped gardens. Adult £7.50, child £3.75.
- 3 [formerly dead link] St Swithun's church, Church Ln, RH19 3BB, ☏ . Contains the graves of the Sussex Martyrs.
- 4 East Grinstead Museum, Old Market Yard, Cantelupe Road, RH19 3BJ (just off the High Street), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. W-Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 2-5PM. Free.
- The longest row of 14th-century timber-framed buildings in England lines the top of High Street.
- Check out the local Theatre & Arts Centre, Chequer Mead - one of the best purpose-built venues in the south, with a good range of professional and community-based events.
- 1 Bluebell Railway, Firbank Way, East Grinstead RH19 1QS (http://www.bluebell-railway.com/directions/), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily Apr - Oct + weekends/holidays - between 3 and 7 trains per day. England's premier restored steam railway, has its Northern terminus located adjacent to main East Grinstead station. Trains steam 11 miles through the heart of the Sussex Weald throughout the year - other terminus is close to Sheffield Park National Trust gardens. Museum, Shop, Restaurant, Locomotive shed. 30 steam engines!. £17 adult third class all-day ticket. £14.50 if booked 8 days in advance.
- Go to the races at 2 Lingfield Park Racecourse, Racecourse Road, Lingfield RH7 6PH (B2028, half a mile east of Lingfield), ☏ . Unusually, this has flat-racing all year round, using artificial Polytrack in winter. Flat-racing in summer, and jumps races in winter, are on turf. Lingfield is 3 miles north of East Grinstead, with its own railway station.
- Explore the wealth of walks and trails that lead from the town into the surrounding countryside. Several long distance trails pass through or near the town, such as the High Weald Landscape Trail and the Sustrans National Cycle Network Route 21 passes through the town.
- Climbing: on the Stone Rocks overlooking the Weir Wood Reservoir on the outskirts of the town. There is free access to climbing these rocks, which are suitable for most ages and levels of skills.
- McDonald's, Wimpy and Starburger Express all have outlets in the town.
- A few Italian chains like Prezzo and Pizza express have restaurants on the historic high street.
- Cuisine Studio (in the town's Theater & Arts Centre, Chequer Mead). One of the best and least well-known to visitors (but not to locals!)
- Lots of take-away outlets in the town.
- Taylors. Generally considered to be the best place for fish and chips, with queues stretching out onto the street at weekends.
There are also several Indian restaurants and Chinese take-away restaurant places.
- Nizam Indian Restaurant.
- Shapla. Good takeaway.
- 1 The Ounce and Ivy Bush, The Atrium, Little King St, RH19 3DJ (located on the ground floor of the Atrium Entertainment complex), ☏ . JD Wetherspoons.
- The Broadway (located on Railway Approach). Another large venue.
- Crows Nest. Live bands every week.
- The Dorset Arms. Gastropub.
- The Sussex Arms. Very posh.
- The Sportsman. One of the smallest pubs in England. Hidden down an alley. Often full of crazy people.
- 2 The Open Arms, 51 Railway approach (Between London Road and the Station), ☏ . 3-11PM. Micropub serving range of cask and real ales.
The town also has 2 main nightclubs.
- Tryst (previously Billy Rox) (in the Atrium).
- Bliss (previously Whitehall), Kings Street.
The town's Tourism Initiative has a full listing of all accommodation on their website
- 1 Premier Inn East Grinstead, London Rd, Felbridge, RH19 2QR, ☏ .
- The Felbridge Hotel & Spa, London Rd, ☏ .
- 2 The Cat Inn, North Lane, West Hoathly RH19 4PP, ☏ . Excellent inn with 4 rooms out in the countryside. The bar is open M-Sa 12:00-23:00, Su 12:00-22:00. No children under 7. B&B double £130.
- 3 Gravetye Manor, Vowels Lane, West Hoathly RH19 4LJ, ☏ . Splurge luxury hotel in Tudorbethan manor, great ambiance, comfort and cuisine. No children under 7 or dogs. B&B double £290.
- Local weekly newspaper - East Grinstead Courier and Observer.
- Community radio station - 107 Meridian FM, on 107FM and online.
- Ashdown Forest is nearby, for walking, wildlife, llamas and Winnie The Pooh.
|Routes through East Grinstead|
|London ←||N S||→ Ashdown Forest → Uckfield|