Coming up from D.C., take the Columbia Pike, US-29, to US-40. Head east on 40 to Rogers Ave and turn right to get to the historic district.
From Baltimore, head west on US-40 (the Baltimore National Pike), and turn left on Rogers Ave for the Historic district.
The main attraction in Ellicott City is the Historic Main Street, popular with tourists for its old-timey charm, upscale restaurants and cafes, and a couple historic attractions.
- 1 Thomas Isaac Log Cabin, Main St & Ellicott Mills Dr, ☏ . Sa-Su 1PM-4PM. One of Ellicott City's first homes, from the 18th Century. Free.
- 2 Patapsco Female Institute, ☏ . Situated on a hilltop overlooking the Patapsco River Valley, the ruins of The Patapsco Female Institute are open to the public. The Institute was founded in 1837 as an boarding school for young women. Outdoor theatrical performances are sometimes held in the ruins, performed by The Chesapeake Shakespeare Company. Fair warning to the superstitious and the easily spooked: The Institute is rumored to be haunted by the ghost of a young woman named Annie Van Derlot who died while attending the school. Free.
- 3 [dead link] Ellicott City B & O Railroad Station Museum, 2711 Maryland Ave, Ellicott City, MD 21043, ☏ . The oldest surviving railroad station in America, the Ellicott City station was the original terminus of the first thirteen miles of commercial railroad ever built in the country, stretching from Baltimore to Ellicott Mills. While no train rides are available at the station today, visitors can still see the Main Depot building, the freight house, a replica of the first horse-drawn passenger rail car, and a 1927 "I-5" Caboose. A 40-foot HO-gauge model train replica of the original thirteen miles of track is on display in the freight house.
- 4 Centennial Park, 10000 MD-108 Ellicott City, MD 21042, ☏ . part of Howard County's 7000+ acre scenic park system, Centennial Park has won three awards for its natural beauty. The park is 325 acres and features a 2.4-mile loop around Centennial Lake. Activities include boating (rental is available), fishing, sports, or just enjoying the scenery. Many picnic sites are located thorough the park, so this is an excellent location for travelers to enjoy a take-out lunch. Free.
- 5 [dead link] Meadowbrook Park, 5001 Meadowbrook Lane, Ellicott City, MD 21043, ☏ . A 77-acre community park featuring multiple sports fields, an open-play area; and a large playground, all connected by 2.5 miles of walking paths. Free.
- 6 [dead link] Font Hill Wetlands Park, 3520 Font Hill Drive, Ellicott City, MD 21043, ☏ . A nice little 26 acre park, with wetlands, a stream, three ponds, and shady woods, this is an ideal habitat for wildlife. Ducks and geese, frogs and turtles, schools of fish, and many insect species are guaranteed sightings, especially in and around the large pond. The gazebo in the large pond is a great place to fish from, or just to stop and take in the scenery Free.
- 1 Antique Depot, 3720 Maryland Avenue, Ellicott City, MD 21043, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon - Sun: 10:30 am to 6 pm. Easily the best place for antiques shopping in Ellicott City. The Antique Depot is a mini-mall full of character and variety, home to numerous dealers and vendors selling antiques and collectibles.
- 2 Long Gate Shopping Center. Shopping center near Meadowbrook Park with several chain stores, restaurants and a gas station.
- 3 Normandy Shopping Center.
There are endless places to eat in greater Ellicott City, but as a visitor, the best (and often priciest) options are on the Historic Main Street, and there are a bunch to choose from.
- 1 [dead link] Johnny's Bistro, 8167 main st, ellicott city, md (take us-29 north. exit on us-40 west. Take a left at St. John's lane. take the 3rd left (frederick rd) johnnys on right), ☏ . Although very pricey thheir food is great. They have specialty soup every day and thay have great oyster casino.
- 2 La Palapa Grill & Cantina, 8307 Main Street Ellicott City MD 21043, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Restaurant Hours: Monday - Thursday 11:30 AM - 9:30 PM Friday - Saturday 11:30 AM - 10:30 PM Sunday 11:00 AM - 9:30 PM Sunday Brunch Hours: 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM Late Fare Hours: 10:00 PM - 1:00 AM Bar Hours: Monday 11:30 AM - Midnight Tuesday - Saturday 11:30 AM - 2:00 AM Sunday 11:00 AM - Midnight. Family owned and operated, La Palapa Grill & Cantina offers a taste of authentic Mexican cuisine in Ellicott City's Historic District, plus a full bar with mariachi music on weekends.
- 3 Pachanga Cocina Mexicana, 10291 Baltimore National Pike Ellicott City, MD 21042, ☏ . Sundays thru Thursdays from 11:00 AM until 9:00 PM Fridays and Saturdays from 11:00 AM until 9:30 PM Sunday Brunch served until 3:00 PM. Located on the Baltimore National Pike as it passes through Ellicott City, Pachanga Cocina Mexicana is family owned and operated restaurant serving an excellent variety of quality Mexican cuisine.
- 4 Stella Notte, 8809 Baltimore National Pike Ellicott City, MD 21043, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Monday - Thursday: 11:30 – 9:00 Friday: 11:30 – 10:00 Saturday: 4:00 - 10:00 Sunday: 4:00 – 8:00. Casual Italian restaurant Located off Baltimore National Pike, near the on-ramp from Columbia Pike. Stella Notte serves a variety of salads, brick oven pizzas, and specialty sandwiches.
- 5 Facci, 11095 Resort Road Ellicott City, MD 21042, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 11am-10pm. Bistro-style Italian restaurant with a wine bar, located in the Turf Valley Towne Square. Facci serves many delicious Italian dishes, Neopolitan-style wood fire pizza.
- 6 [dead link] Yama Asian Fusion, 10039 Baltimore National Pike Ellicott City, MD 21042, ☏ . Mon. - Thurs.: 11:00 am - 10:00 pm Fri. & Sat.: 11:00 am - 10:30 pm Sunday: 11:30 am - 10:00 pm. Local Asian restaurant in the Forest Green complex, offering a wide array of Japanese, Chinese & Thai dishes. Asian Lunch Specials and take out are also available.
- 1 Ellicott Mills Brewing Co, 8308 Main Street Ellicott City MD 21043, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Local craft brewery & pub situated in historic Old Ellicott City. Drafts of their own craft beers, pub food, classes & tastings are all on offer here.
- 2 The Judge's Bench, 8385 Main St Ellicott City, MD 21043, ☏ . Open every day till 2:00 a.m. except Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter & 4th of July. (Opening time: Mon.-Fri. @4:00 pm, Sat. @2:00 pm, Sun. @1:00 pm). Located in an old building near the original Howard County courthouse, The Judge's Bench is a local pub with 17 rotating taps serving 75+ craft brews. The menu consists of pub fare, soups, snacks and sandwiches.
- 3 T-Bonz Grille & Taphouse, 4910 Waterloo Rd Ellicott City, MD 21043 (Turn into small shopping center at the intersection of Montgomery Road and Waterloo Road. Follow around to rear of building), ☏ . Mon - 11am till 10pm Tues thru Sat - 11am till late Sun - 11am till 9pm. A small establishment, easily passed by if one doesn't know its location. T-Bonz nonetheless offers an excellent selection of beers, and delicious barbecue grilled food.
- 4 The White Oak Tavern, 10030 Baltimore National Pike Ellicott City, MD 21042 (From Baltimore National Pike, turn into Enchanted Forest shopping center. Drive along the outside of the parking lot until you come to The White Oak Tavern at the corner of buildings 10030 and 10040), ☏ . Monday - Thursday 11am-11pm (Kitchen Closes @ 10pm) Friday 11am-1am Saturday 10am-1am Sunday 10am-10pm. Tavern located in the Enchanted Forest shopping center, serving up New American cuisine alongside a wide range of beers and drinks.
- 5 [dead link] Kelsey's Irish Pub, Normandy Shopping Center 8480 Baltimore National Pike Ellicott City, MD 21043, ☏ . Since October 17, 1994, the family-owned and operated Kelsey's has been serving up excellent food and beverages in a friendly, neighborhood pub-style environment alongside the best of live music.
- Turf Valley Resort, 2700 Turf Valley Rd, ☏ , toll-free: . A golf and spa resort that often caters to large business meetings and events. $120-250.
- 1 Howard County Library System Charles E. Miller Branch & Historical Center, 9421 Frederick Rd Ellicott City, MD 21042, ☏ . Miller Branch is Howard County Library System's (HCLS) newest and largest branch, a state-of-the-art facility that was opened December 17, 2011. Complete with free wifi, and computers in every corner, each running the Groovix Linux distro, and equipped with full internet access. In addition to stopping by for the web connectivity, it's worth taking the time to browse through the vast selection of books, taking a walk through the "Enchanted Garden", or hanging out on the green roof garden.
- Main Street. A public wifi network, FreeHoCoGov, is accessible along Main Street, from Fels Lane, down to the Baltimore county line.
|Routes through Ellicott City|
|Hagerstown ← Frederick ←||W E||→ Woodlawn → Baltimore|
|Washington, D.C. ← Columbia ←||S N||→ END|
|Hagerstown ← Frederick ←||W E||→ Woodlawn → Baltimore|