Elvas train station is 3 km outside the city centre. There is one daily train connection from Lisbon by changing at Entroncamento with a total journey time of 4:30 hours (15.60€). The train continues to Badajoz, Spain.
It's 200 km from Lisbon.
All sights inside the city walls can be easily reached on foot.
Elvas is very close to Badajoz, Spain and has been fortified at different times. That makes it worth while to wander round looking at the work of different periods.
- 1 Amoreira Aqueduct (Aqueduto da Amoreira). The 16th-century aqueduct is a great architectural view - five stories in parts - and it's staggering to see how narrow was its channel. Free.
- 2 Castle of Elvas (Castelo de Elvas), Rua da Parada do Castelo 4-8, ☏ . Tu–Sa 09:00–18:00. Fortified castle for defense purposes. Provides panoramic views of the city and surroundings.
- 3 Nossa Senhora da Graça Fort (Forte de Nossa Senhora da Graça), Alcáçova (3 km uphill from the city centre), ☏ . Tu–Su 10:00–17:00. One of the two fortresses outside the city, with multiple layers of defensive walls. Located on a large hill it provides great views back to Elvas and over to Spain, especially from the balcony of the governor's palace. 5€ (2.50€ reduced).
- 4 Our Lady of the Assumption Cathedral (Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Assunção), Praça da República. Manueline-style cathedral on the main square.
- 5 Santa Luzia Fort (Forte de Santa Luzia) (1 km from the city centre), ☏ . Tu 13:00–17:00, W–Su 10:00–17:00. One of the two fortresses outside the city walls.
- 1 Guest house Garcia de Orta, Avenida de Garcia da Orta 3A, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 SL Hotel Santa Luzia, Avenida de Badajoz (Assunção), ☏ , , fax: , ✉ email@example.com.
- 3 Hotel Dom Luis Elvas, Avenida de Badajoz, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 85 rooms with private bathrooms. Garden, outdoor swimming pool, bar with terrace, 24-Hour front desk, living room, daily newspapers
- Camping Os Anjos (campismo rural), Estrada da senhora da saude (20 km from Elvas), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. First campsite in Portugal, over the Spanish border, 14 km from Badajoz.