Emmerich lies on the River Rhine, or more precisely, on its right (northern) riverbank next to the Dutch border.
Emmerich is divided into 10 quarters (Ortsteile): Altstadt (old town), Borghees, Dornick, Elten, Hüthum, Klein-Netterden, Leegmeer, Praest, Speelberg and Vrasselt.
Tourists are most likely to concentrate on Altstadt and maybe Elten.
Get in Edit
By plane Edit
The nearest airports are located in Weeze (NRN IATA, 37 km away), Düsseldorf (DUS IATA, 95 km), Eindhoven (NL) (EIN IATA, 120 km), Dortmund (DTM IATA, 125 km) and Schiphol (NL) (AMS IATA, 136 km). Out of these, Düsseldorf and Amsterdam Schiphol see by far the most international connections. Weeze meanwhile is mostly served by no frills airlines.
By train Edit
Emmerich station is situated less than 1 km away from the city centre. At Duisburg main station travellers from Germany may change trains from high speed train ICE to regional trains Regionalexpress "Rhein-Express" (RE 5) or Regionalbahn „Der Weseler“ (RB 35). The night trains CityNightline "Pollux" (CNL 419/1319) and "Pegasus" (CNL 40419) have a stop in Emmerich too.
- Emmerich station timetables: current arrivals • current departures
- trip scheduling (by train and bus): inbound journey • outbound journey
By car Edit
Emmerich is connected to the highway ("Autobahn") A3 and to the federal highways ("Bundesstraße") B8 and B220.
Get around Edit
By local transportation Edit
By car Edit
By bike Edit
By foot Edit
Tourist information Edit
- 1 Rheinbrücke Emmerich (Rhine Bridge), Klever Str.. largest suspension bridge in Germany
- 2 Heilig-Geist-Kirche. built in 1966, version of the cross made of scrap metal and the Stations of the Cross made of linen.
- 3 [formerly dead link] Rheinmuseum (Rhine Museum), Martinikirchgang 2, ☏ . A one man submarine and a number of models of ships
Local specialties Edit
- Hotel Stadt Emmerich, Bahnhofstraße 26, ☏ .
- Hotel Am Pan, Baustraße 50, ☏ .
- 1 [formerly dead link] Hotel Rheinpromenade, Rheinpromenade 8, ☏ .
- 2 Reiterhof "Ortscher Hof", Eltener Straße 355, ☏ .